window cable

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

lukek

window cable, Anti-Football Run report, new daughter !

Post by lukek »

Thanks,
I found it at this URL:
http://www.ferrariclubofamerica.com/Fus ... wing%2Ejpg

It is a set up with power windows, and the geometry is different, but it is the same principle.
I just bought a saging tool (big a** crimping pliers) and some alum. ferrules. (See, Tom, I am slowly learning the vocabulary).
I will have to open up the passenger side again for reference. I am not sure which cable end went up and which one went down. There are two cable holes in the winding spool, one at the top and the other at the bottom of the cylinder. I think the whole closer to the outside of the car receives the upper cable.

The Anti-Football Run on January 1 was fun. I woke up wandering whether I should go. There was a deluge on my side of the bay. High winds and howling, pelting kind of rain. I blocked my passenger side window and sneaked out, even without waking the kids (I can slink out of my garage by pushing the car out, rolling it down the hill, and starting the engine out of range. All I have to do to block the garage door opening is to get the heat going in the house. My HVAC sounds like a 747 at takeoff).
A few people did not show, but there was a 330 GTS, several vintage Porsches, including a 73 Carrera (white with green stripe), lots of Alfas, a 308 GT4, a DB6 Aston, a Sunbeam Alpine (same color as Tom's), 68 Firebird, a GT350 Mustang, and a couple of modern car "cheaters". There was one Mercedes from the 60s already facing a breakdown, a dragging tailpipe. He commandeered a Safeway cart, took off the red kiddie strap and secured his tailpipe with said restraing device...
Once everyone got the sweatshirt and drank their $4 Starbucks poison all men formed a neat line to... the restroom facility. A few of the female navigators and drivers were clearly gloating.
We headed out going the other way this year. Highway 1 first, back roads last. Unfortunately, we did not make it that far. My navigator was my brother in law, and I let him drive the first leg. When he noticed that the window slid down a bit, he tried to push it up. The window was wet, his hand slipped and he hit the window channel with his finger tips, full force... Well, this caused some bleeding. We thought of inventing a more herroic story. Perhaps a young blond in an MG was stranded on the side of the road, we tried to recconect her diff, something like that...
The weather was actually getting worse, the roads were full of rocks and branches, so we thought it was a good excuse to pull out in about 30 miles and get some bandaids, some more coffee, and shoot the sh** a little bit.
The car, other than the window did very well in the rain. Skinny tires saved my skinny a** a couple of time the 101 became a river. The defroster is not that good. It is more efficient to give the window a wipe with a nice cloth. The wipers worked OK til' the last 5 miles from home. The passenger one decided to stop in the middle of the windshield and do the rigor mortis dance. It looked like the splines are kind of gone, and the spring holding it in place is a little weak. One more thing to investigate further.

A note to Tom. Once the kid comes, you will either have to negotiate for time off from the child duties, hope for a good napper, or work at night. I do tha latter. Once they are asleep, I sneak into the garage. Unfortunately, my house is too small for power tool use at that time, so I have to often get creative. In other words, you will manage.

Good luck with all, congratulations and God Bless your new child.
Feel free to start a new board. I can just see your first post. "She is crying, I checked for exhaust, leaks, and I know she is getting enough fuel and spark. What gives?"
With a 3 and 1 year old, I can finally answer as many of your questions as you did mine...
:)

thx
luke
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.