New Project

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Rob330

New Project

Post by Rob330 »

Hi Tom and members of this forum, I thought I would introduce myself and give an update on The Wicker Ferrari (5393). My name is Rob and I own 2 auto repair shops in Hamilton Ontario Canada.If you look closely at the front fender in front of where the wheel would be faint traces of the wicker stains are still in the paint. It was purchased without the engine or transmission. The interior is not in the car but has been fully redone. So much to ask but I have time to do that as it comes along.
All help and advice is appreciated and I will try to post any updates and pictures. I will be searching for parts as I go along so if anybody has spare parts to sell I am in the market. My wife and I are heading to LA this weekend for a week and already plan to visit Tom S. Please advise me if I should visit anybody else while I am down there.
I plan on doing most of the work myself in my Garage at home except for paint and prep.
Attachments
64 Ferrari 330GT ID5393 01.JPG
64 Ferrari 330GT ID5393 01.JPG (111.21 KiB) Viewed 10882 times
srslusso

Re: New Project

Post by srslusso »

Come to the Petersen Museum this morning for Ferrari Morning on the roof. It's at the SE corner of Wilshire blvd and Fairfax in Los Angeles. Should be a big turnout of FCA and other people.
Former owner
Several Vintage Ferraris
Incl T de F Zagato 0515
Lusso 33 years
2 Queens 11727 & 11835 looking for another now !
2004 575M 135175 now
tyang

Post by tyang »

srslusso wrote:Come to the Petersen Museum this morning for Ferrari Morning on the roof. It's at the SE corner of Wilshire blvd and Fairfax in Los Angeles. Should be a big turnout of FCA and other people.
Steve, I don't think you meant for Rob to come down from Ontartio to go to the Peterson Museum. Make a new topic next time to get the word out. Thanks.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Rob,

It was nice meeting you at Cavallino a couple of weeks ago, and I wish you all the luck. Good luck with Tom S, and send him our regards. On second thought, you might not want to mention my name!

Tom
Rob330 wrote:Hi Tom and members of this forum, I thought I would introduce myself and give an update on The Wicker Ferrari (5393). My name is Rob and I own 2 auto repair shops in Hamilton Ontario Canada.If you look closely at the front fender in front of where the wheel would be faint traces of the wicker stains are still in the paint. It was purchased without the engine or transmission. The interior is not in the car but has been fully redone. So much to ask but I have time to do that as it comes along.
All help and advice is appreciated and I will try to post any updates and pictures. I will be searching for parts as I go along so if anybody has spare parts to sell I am in the market. My wife and I are heading to LA this weekend for a week and already plan to visit Tom S. Please advise me if I should visit anybody else while I am down there.
I plan on doing most of the work myself in my Garage at home except for paint and prep.
'63 330 America #5053
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

Looks like I will be at coffee and cars in irvine. Will meet up with Tom a little after that.
Hopefully I will check out a dealer or two that has a 330 for sale.
It would be nice to see a fully assemble 330 gt after starring at mine for so long disassembled.
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

Has anybody put a 330gt on a rotisserie . I searched for pictures of a car set up on one but they look quite elaborate.
Can one be made easily or rented.

My trip to LA was awesome ! Tom S was great to meet for information and parts, he gave me a fantastic tour of his shop.
He also gave me some lots of good advice on restoring a vintage Ferrari.

Coffee and Cars in Irvine CA was a definite for any car enthusiast , there is something there for everybody.
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Rob330 wrote:Has anybody put a 330gt on a rotisserie
Hi Rob,

I'm looking to do exactly this with my 330. I'm working on a plan to make something. Whilst working on my car I can rule out using the bumper iron tubes for support as they are not the strongest to take the weight of the car. The jacking tubes are good to hold the weight (now mine are all new) but only in the horizontal plane, I wouldn't think it would be good to turn a car on them.
My conclusion is that the suspension points on the chassis look to be the safest bet to roll a 330 from. This will take some time to engineer a rotisserie frame. I don't think your going to get an "off the shelf" rental rotisserie that'll do the job. Unless someone out there has already made one for their car?
I'm maybe a year away from turning my shell, but would be interested how you did it, if you do it first!
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Small things make perfection, but perfection is no small thing.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Rob330 wrote:Has anybody put a 330gt on a rotisserie . I searched for pictures of a car set up on one but they look quite elaborate.
Can one be made easily or rented.

My trip to LA was awesome ! Tom S was great to meet for information and parts, he gave me a fantastic tour of his shop.
He also gave me some lots of good advice on restoring a vintage Ferrari.

Coffee and Cars in Irvine CA was a definite for any car enthusiast , there is something there for everybody.
Hi Rob,

Yeah, bumper brackets are not near strong enough to hold the weight of the car. The suspension points are better, but not so convenient.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

Do you think the rear bumper tubes might support it if you insert tubes 3 ft or longer into the existing tubes with the bumper off. I would make it fit as tight as possible. Then make a mounting plate attached to those tubes.
Then maybe make a mounting plate in the front where the steering box and steering arm attach.
Just a thought.
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

Here is an update on my rotisserie and soda blasting.
Attachments
Ferrari 009.jpg
Ferrari 009.jpg (102.49 KiB) Viewed 10391 times
Ferrari 008.jpg
Ferrari 008.jpg (103.43 KiB) Viewed 10391 times
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

loews resized.jpg
loews resized.jpg (86.09 KiB) Viewed 10057 times
I picked up the engine just north of LA and this is me crating it in the parking lot of Loews to ship back to Canada.
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

330 rear diff (2).jpg
330 rear diff (2).jpg (97.98 KiB) Viewed 9999 times
Diff almost ready to go back in.