Daytona Shock Removal and Rebuild

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DrewA

Daytona Shock Removal and Rebuild

Post by DrewA »

Going to tackle this project over the next couple of months and had a couple of questions.

I am assuming that once the car is on jack stands and the suspension is hanging free the shock with the coil come out as a unit once the bolts are removed without much else havin got be done. Second, when you send to Koni for rebuild, (DWR was nice enough to post contact information) do you send as a unit with the coil or do I just take them to a suspension shop and have them remove the coil spring (would not wan to attempt this part myself) and send the shock to Koni.

Appreciate any advice for someone who has done this before.

Thanks,

Drew
DWR46

Re: Daytona Shock Removal and Rebuild

Post by DWR46 »

Drew:

1. You will need to remove the outer upper A-arm to hub carrier bolt to gain access to the lower shock mounting bolts on the rear.

2.Both lower outer Ball joint to spindle bolts will have to be removed at the front so the brake rotor/spindle can be pulled away to enable the front shock to be removed.

3. You will need a coilover/shock removal tool to remove the springs from the shocks. Be very careful as the stored kinetic energy is immense and you can get really hurt if something goes wrong.

4.Total of three bolts per corner for removal.

5. You send the shocks ONLY to the rebuilder.
SLM

Post by SLM »

Also, depending on the level of restoration you are doing you may want to repaint the shocks yourself when you get them back. Although Koni did an excellent job rebuilding my shocks the paint was ...to put it kindly- not too good. Parker Hall can provide the correct decals and I may have gotten (not sure) the paint from him as we'll.
62 250GTE S/N 3733
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Drew: In my Item #2, it should say ball joint to A-ARM bolts. Also keep track of the caster shims between the ball joint and the A-arm. Make sure you know how many and what size were in front of the ball joint and what was in the rear of the ball joint. Refer to the parts book for guidance on all this.
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

After looking at the parts diagram I got the general idea from Dyke's post. I also found the Bill Barurski article from PH69 on removal and adjustment of Daytona Koni shocks from the FCA archives which was quite helpful.

One last question before I wear out my welcome - Would you use Koni again for the rebuild. Seems there is a company, Performance Shock in CA, that a couple of guys have used with good results - maybe some others - or just stick with the factory.

Drew
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Actually, if you have or can make the one special tool, the shocks are quite easy to rebuild, as nothing wears out. Usually all that is wrong is the fluid has turned to black goo. Clean everything, refill with ATF and you are good to go. We do our own shocks. Truechoice in Ohio is another option, but Koni in Kentucky will do a good job. They have custom built shocks for us with good results.
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Resurrecting this thread as I am just noticing something. I had my Daytona shocks rebuilt using new rubber spring stops over a year ago by True Choice in Ohio. And I installed them at that time. My Daytona has developed a "creek" coming from the right rear. I have traced it to the point where the top of the shock rubber meets the inside body of the car.

It appears to me that when the rubber stops were replaced the right side front rubber stop and the right side rear rubber stop were reversed.

The pictures are in order:

LF[attachment=3]IMG_0468 (640x480).jpg[/attachment]

LR[attachment=2]IMG_0469 (640x480).jpg[/attachment]

RF[attachment=1]IMG_0470 (640x480).jpg[/attachment]

RR[attachment=0]IMG_0478 (640x480).jpg[/attachment]

I believe the LF and LR rubber tops are correct.

Notice that the RR is hitting the inside pannel because it is the larger rubber stop causing the noise.

I assume if I pull these and take it to a shop they can be reversed.

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Drew
Attachments
IMG_0478 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0478 (640x480).jpg (235.28 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
IMG_0470 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0470 (640x480).jpg (232.91 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
IMG_0469 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0469 (640x480).jpg (252.1 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
IMG_0468 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0468 (640x480).jpg (228.35 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Sorry pictures gor reversed. Starting from top;

RR, then RF then LR then LF
IslandGuy

Post by IslandGuy »

That's correct, Drew. The upper spring rubber isolator is installed backwards. The top hat faces upwards. Although you can reuse these pieces, they should be readily available.

Best,
David
Timo

Post by Timo »

From what I can see I think spring insulators are installed in correct position, etc on all, but appear to have "collapsed" for whatever reason. Age or ...?
Timo
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks. That's what I thought. Gerrrrrrrrrrrrr. Another knuckle busting weekend. Drew
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Timo,

Look at the top pic of the RR. I believe it is not right.

It should be like the 3rd pic which is of the LR.

Right?

Drew
Timo

Post by Timo »

All look to be "not right", some just more than others, but why is difficult to determine with given pictures.
Other parts incorrectly assembled, perhaps ?
Only one way to find out (and fix correctly), remove and disassemble all.
Timo
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks - putting the car on jack stands, pulling the wheels today. Tackle the removal tomorrow send them off to someone I trust. Drew