cam timing off?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Re: cam timing off?

Post by tyang »

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your description. It's definitely a process that I am still learning. My boss often to chooses to do this process late in the evening without any distractions, and has shown me various parts of this procedure. I know having a tapered rod for a tool to line up with sprocket holes as you're readjusting the chain position helps. Even for him, it takes a while to get it right.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Colin Angell

Post by Colin Angell »

Hi Tom
Yes, you do sometimes need to lever the sprocket back up onto the cam. I have made a short lever, the end of which is turned down to a loose fit inside the hollow oil way in the camshaft and it then steps out with a short taper to help the sprocket back into place. It is great to know that Francois does something similar, because basically it is something I figured out for myself after struggling to get the sprockets back on. I'd post a photo if I could just work out how to do it! Still I could measure it up tonight and let you have dimensions.

All the best
Colin
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings… What I've done is to have just the front cylinder valve gear (1 and 12) bolted down and the distributor drive on at the back. With all the valve gear attached, the cam will want to turn on its own when you unbolt the sprocket.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
Colin Angell

Post by Colin Angell »

Well that sounds like an interesting technique, presumably relying on the strength of the valve springs to rotate the shaft into position. Your comment about also leaving the distributors in place reminds me to mention that as the distributors are driven straight off the camshaft you will need to check and adjust the distributor timing after you adjust the cam timing.