Daytona spark plugs

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Chuck Coli

Daytona spark plugs

Post by Chuck Coli »

I need to replace the spark plugs in my Daytona, the engine has Symetrical P6 cams ,comp distributors,velocity stack carbs,and factory high compression pistons and it is a euro car so tube headers, any thoughts on plugs for this motor for street use, when I bought it is was tuned for the 8500 rpm cams with the largest venturies in the carbs and biggest jets I had engine pulled and dynoed at the time the engine had less than 200 miles since a complete rebuild, I had it " detuned" to 6500 rpms for street use. Dyno sheet shows 365hp at 6400rpms.car now has 2700 miles ,I have heard that champions have a tendency to cut the threads in the aluminum heads any thought on this and / or recommendations are appreciated,Chuck
Daytona spyder rebody conversion
1988 carrera cabriolet
1960 MGA Twin Cam
1967 VW Convertible
Timo

Re: Daytona spark plugs

Post by Timo »

I can't really see how use of a specific brand of plugs or tuning stage of the engine would offer more or less potential for damaging the plug hole threads on the cylinder head, but then again there are many other things in life or on cars I don't fully understand either. Over tightening or cross threading on the other hand...
Anyway, last Daytona engine I replaced the plugs on was freshly/fully rebuilt, 10:1 compression, slightly "massaged", but otherwise mostly stock U.S. street unit providing around 395 HP with stock air cleaner and exhaust I ended up using NGK BP6ES's which after 2000+ miles seem to work fine. Currently doing some major work on another Daytona with (allegedly) freshly/fully rebuilt engine and once at that stage I'll probably try same plugs to begin with. Hope this help.
Timo
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

I agree with Timo, BP6ES is the plug for street work and some occasional high performance running. Actually, it is the plug to use in 330 and 365 single cams as well as 275 GTB/4. On 250's make sure the "projected" tip does not hit the wall of the spark plug well as I have discussed here before. If so, it is B6ES.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Sorry, BP6ES is good for 275 two cams also. Forgot, another senior moment.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I have a question to Mr. Ridgely.
Were you at Laguna Seca last Friday, sir?
Saw Tom Y. there and had some interesting discussions with him, but forgot to ask if he knew of your possible attendance or whereabouts. I was hoping to have the honor of making your acquaintance and put faces to names, sort of speak.
Timo
Chuck Coli

Post by Chuck Coli »

Thanks Timo will try the NGK's ,Chuck
1988 carrera cabriolet
1960 MGA Twin Cam
1967 VW Convertible
Zanny1

Post by Zanny1 »

Ran BP6ES plugs in my C/4 after the engine was rebuilt with 10.5: CR and reground cams. Used individual air cleaners per carb, crane ignition. Car was euro-spec. Ran just fine with 120 main jets.
Mike
1971 365 GTC4.... on my second one
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Timo: Yes, we were racing at Laguna Seca both weekends with a SWB and two Birdcages. We were also at Tom's party. Just way too much to do, in too short a time, to find everybody you want to see.
Timo

Post by Timo »

DWR46 wrote:... way too much to do, in too short a time,...
I know exactly what you mean, sir. I arrived to Monterey on Monday the 11th after concluding my annual 2 day, 430 mile "pilgrimage" journey through the desert, over the mountains and up the coastline driving mostly back roads and 2-lane hi-ways in my favorite "ride" (see pics), which strangely enough I find more rewarding than any other vintage car I've ever owned/driven (and yes, including Ferraris, although I don't have much driving experience with anything older than Daytonas).
Next thing I knew the week filled with numerous events, lunches/dinners, parties and visits with friends was gone again and it was time to head back south via different, but also scenic route.
Perhaps next year I'll try to extend my trip beyond 8-9 days (with 6 or so in town), although I'm also contemplating of adding a "slight" detour by driving (hopefully with pictured jalopy again) up to and spending a few days in Seattle first ?
Are all or most cars/teams involved with vintage race venue already at L. S. the weekend prior to "major madness" ? I've heard a reference to "pre-historics" (?).

Again, my apologizes for hijacking this thread a bit.
Attachments
Mt. Pinos
Mt. Pinos
DSCN1199.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 8370 times
Big Sur
Big Sur
DSCN1201.jpg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 8370 times
Destination hotel in Monterey
Destination hotel in Monterey
DSCN1204.jpg (17 KiB) Viewed 8370 times
Timo
Chuck Coli

Post by Chuck Coli »

NGK suggests BP7ES or EY is the 6 a hotter plug? Anyone ever use a Bosch plug? Also just pulled one of the old plugs out they are champion N7YC.Chuck
1988 carrera cabriolet
1960 MGA Twin Cam
1967 VW Convertible