Boxer Engine Removal

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DrewA

Boxer Engine Removal

Post by DrewA »

Tom,
or for that matter anyone who has done this before.

Was glad to see your diary on Boxer engine removal. I am getting ready to do this this fall.

I have a carbed 512. Couple of questions:

How are the engine mount bolts removed - from bottom of car? Assume you remove the large bolds down the middle of the engine mount.

Do you have to remove the AC pump or is there enough clearance just to disconnect the lines.

With the manifolds and rear heat shield removed is it necessary to remove the transfer case to get enough clearance to move the engine rearward, then tilt backend up so that the AC and cam covers clear?

What attach points do you plan to use to lift the engine?

And while I am being pesky - how are you planning to secure the cams so that they do not move when replacing the belts?

Appreciate any advice you could give.

Drew
tyang

Re: Boxer Engine Removal

Post by tyang »

DrewA wrote:Tom,
or for that matter anyone who has done this before.

Was glad to see your diary on Boxer engine removal. I am getting ready to do this this fall.

I have a carbed 512. Couple of questions:

How are the engine mount bolts removed - from bottom of car? Assume you remove the large bolds down the middle of the engine mount.
Like I said in the post, I'm not the only person you should consult.
The bolts are just long bolts and nuts that should easily come out.
Do you have to remove the AC pump or is there enough clearance just to disconnect the lines.
You can just disconnect the lines, and leave the compressor in place, but the hood latch has to be removed, and the engine has to tilt and slide back to clear the A/C.
With the manifolds and rear heat shield removed is it necessary to remove the transfer case to get enough clearance to move the engine rearward, then tilt backend up so that the AC and cam covers clear?
Absolutely, there is not enough room without removing the transfer case and clutch cover. You may even have to pull the rear bumper to pull the main shaft because the one on this car we're doing hits the back of the bumper when we try to slide it out.
What attach points do you plan to use to lift the engine?
We use canvas straps that cradle the engine, but it's going to be tricky to tilt it at the angle required.
And while I am being pesky - how are you planning to secure the cams so that they do not move when replacing the belts?
There are all sorts of cam locking devices that can be used or made. Get through removing the engine, and locking the cams will be a piece of cake!

You should also consider changing out the lower pulley bearings. You'll need a tool for that too. If the fuel lines have not been changed on your car, I highly advise doing this, especially the soft bridge pipe between the tanks. the 70s-80s rubber Ferrari used for the fuel hoses is deteriorating from something in the modern fuel, so the consequences can be disastrous. With the engine out, it makes for changing all the rubber hoses a lot easier.
Appreciate any advice you could give.

Drew
Good luck. Trust me, I'm just getting through the first couple days of this procedure, and I would rather have done something else!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
B24Spider

Post by B24Spider »

May I second Toms' advise re: the fuel lines? Regardless of the effect of modern fuels, they have aged out anyway. If you do nothing else, put fresh lines in.

I have seen what can happen to a 512 if you don't...
tyang

Post by tyang »

A picture is worth a thousand words!
This is the inside of the rubber hose that connects a bridge pipe between two fuel tanks.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Appreciate the comments.

I replaced the lines that deliver and return fuel to the car a couple of years ago. Never thought about replacing the line between the tank or the one that fills the tank. Good thought.

I have a 4 post lift that should help. But this job looks like one that you just take your time on to make sure it continues to be a labor of love vs. getting frustrated.

Thanks,

Drew
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Drew,

You're definitely going to need an extra pair of hands to guide that monster engine and transmission out of the car when everything is disconnected! Strap the engine so it tilts forward and as soon as the rear engine mount clears the lower cross member, slide the engine rearward so the A/C compressor clears the rear window.

Have "fun!"

Look on the bright side, once you accomplish this task successfully, you'll be able to commiserate with the few people who have done this job too!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Another tip is think about how you're going to lift the engine. I've seen it done with a cherry picker type engine hoist, but the height of the engine has to be high enough to clear the upper cross member. If you're picking the engine up from behind the car, the arm may be extended beyond it's safety limit or give you the right angle you'll need. You don't want to find out when the engine is suspended in the air and you can't clear the engine bay. We use a suspended engine hoist on a chain fall. Once we get the height right, we push the car forward on its wheels to clear the compartment. A four post lift might limit what you're about to do.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

First of all, Mea Culpa, as I've never pulled a Ferrari engine, let alone a project that even the pros think is challenging. But I have done 7 or 8 engines, including the current R&R of the 427 from my Kirkham Cobra. With a two post lift and a cherry picker, it was tricky even with the assistance of a certified mechanic. I don't see how you can get the legs of a cherry picker under the car when it's already 4-6" up off the ground on the 4 post lift. I guess you could raise the lift 2 or so inches, just enough to get the hoist's legs under the lift, but that raises the car and will limit how high you can safely lift the load to clear the fenders. Just doing some theoretic thinking about whether or not the geometry and limits of the situation will allow you to complete this unenviable task.

In doing my Cobra, became quickly evident why the pros use a moveable pulley system that works directly overhead.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
simonc

Post by simonc »

I have removed a Boxer engine a number of times, teh last time was a month ago. It can be done without removing the belhousing. I usually disconnect teh A/C and leave teh compressor on teh engine, although I usually remove the Webers and header tank. I can post more photos if anyone is interested.

[attachment=0]DSC03250.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
DSC03250.JPG
DSC03250.JPG (49.1 KiB) Viewed 11741 times
Simon in the UK

1973 246GT Dino
1976 365 Boxer
1977 400 Auto
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Impressive. The car's not a lift tho' right? The only reason I used a lift on my prior jobs was to remove the wheels to drop the car a few more inches. It's not the lift that helps here, it's the cherry picker and having the distance to raise the engine enough to clear all of the body's obstacles. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks guys.

I plan on using the 4 post lift just to disconnect all the stuff that is easier to get to under the car.

Then I am going to roll it off the lift and use a cherry picker similar to the pic Simonc posted. Its a friend's cherry picker and I appreciate the comments about getting the engine to clear the top support member. If I have to I believe I can always take the wheels off and put it on low jack stands to lower it.

But thanks - this really helps.

Drew
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Ay, that makes more sense than what I had envisioned. Best of luck...you'll get it I have no doubt. s
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

simonc wrote:I have removed a Boxer engine a number of times, teh last time was a month ago. It can be done without removing the belhousing. I usually disconnect teh A/C and leave teh compressor on teh engine, although I usually remove the Webers and header tank. I can post more photos if anyone is interested.
DSC03250.JPG
Taking the bell housing off makes it a lot easier, especially when I can avoid trying to get to the bolts that holds the A/C compressor in place! I don't know if the injected motors are different, but it's pretty tight.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Simonc,

Are you saying that after disconnecting the AC hoses, you can loosen the AC compressor bolts so that the compressor sits maybe an inch or so lower and have enough room to remove the engine?

Thanks,

Drew
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Drew,

You have to tilt the engine forward to slide back and clear the rear window. Don't forget to remove the latch bracket.

Have fun!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053