Fantastic Tom! Congratulations!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Neil Albaugh

I Know That Feeling!

Post by Neil Albaugh »

Congratulations, Tom. You sure did a nice job of restoration on your Ferrari. Thanks so much for documenting your work so others can benefit.

I sure wish I had such a nicely done restoration guide available back when I did my 250GTE Series III restoration. As you found, restoring an older Ferrari is an adventure. As I read about the various things you found that needed work and your overcoming each obstacle in turn, I found myself smiling and thinking "Yeah-- I remember when I did that."

One tip (I don't remember reading this here but maybe I missed it) on the brakes: the 250 series disk brakes are the same as a Jaguar E-type. Pads and caliper parts that fit an E-type will work also in the Ferrari.

Check the points of your electric fuel pump. Chances are that they need to be replaced; some day it won't go "tick-tick-tick" anymore.

Also replace that hydraulic stop light switch! On a 250, it's mounted on the rear of the brake master cylinder. Mine was evidentally leaking internally and one time I went to stop and there was a loud "bang" and no brakes!
The rear of the switch had exploded and blown out completely. Fortunately, my emergency brake worked just fine and I stopped without further drama!
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the support, and the tips.

There's a website in my suppliers page that shows replacement caliper pistons that also fit Jaguars.

My electric fuel pump was rebuilt, and new points were installed.

Francois and I brazed a new pressure switch with the correct fitting to work with the brakes, but I can imagine the surprise wehn yours failed!

Tom