Fantastic Tom! Congratulations!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

resnow

Post by resnow »

Tom,

CONGRATULATIONS! I have been following your progress since nearly the beginning and am following in your footsteps with my GTE. Actually, I acquired my GTE in '83 but have been unable to complete the rebuild since I have been out of the country on business assignements since '92. Now that I'm back, work has resumed with all your great results as my motivation.

I have printed every page of your progress and have added them to my own records and photos. I actually began my rebuild/restoration back in the days before digital cameras and the internet. Thanks for the good work, dedication and for sharing it all with us.

Bob Snow
Pete

Congrats

Post by Pete »

Tom,

Just wanted to add my congrats. Must have been a nervous and exciting moment :) ... sounds like it all went well.

For 3 years that moment drove you on, as has been said earlier, starting a restoration is easy, completing one is for the select few of really motivated people.

Such satisfaction, all done yourself ... better than paying somebody else, I reckon.

Keep up the good work.
Pete
El Wayne

Post by El Wayne »

Tom,

Serious congrats to you! Thank you for sharing it all with us. Now that that's done, when will the book be available? ;-) !!

Wayne
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks again guys!

I've still got to get the interior done, but now it doesn't seem as hard to accomplish since I can drive it down the road!

I'm working on the book, and will have a more organized look at my restoration. It's going to take some time and effort, but if it's anything like my 330 America restoration, it WILL get done!

Tom
tim

Post by tim »

Tom, in the Morgan car community (I've got 2 of those as well) we have a term you might better understand now than last week. It's called "perma-smile". tim
Andrew-PG

Post by Andrew-PG »

Tom Well Done,
Your an inspiration to everbody in the middle of rebuilding a Ferrari. it's nice to know that at least one person has finished!
GTSteveB

Post by GTSteveB »

Great job Tom, I'll bet that three years ago and 296 posts prior that when this day arrived, it would be like standing on top of the world! Smells like Victory to me:) It would be great to see your car at Monterey when Ferrari is the marque again. The rest of the restoration is just icing on the cake. Keep up the great work.

Steve
Kris

Congrats!

Post by Kris »

I just found your site the other day while surfing the web and I've been reading through the months like the pages of a book. Wow, hats off to you for your dedication and endurance. Having grown up around cars since the age of 3, I've learned that the best things take time.

Reading all this is great since I don't yet own a Ferrari (I will be a college grad in December 2002) but am starting to gear up for when that day arrives. Better start saving more than pennies and dimes, right? :D I look forward to reading more on your adventures, and I also like the posts in this forum. It's nice to see others who are saving classics from the crusher or rotting in barns somewhere.

Thanks again,
Kris
jmp85

Post by jmp85 »

awesome video!! thanks tom, it's really cool. the soundtrack isn't too displeasing either =)
JAshburne

Congratulations and More!

Post by JAshburne »

Tom

The video of your drive in the 330GT America gave me goosebumps! What an awesome, tremendous achievement! I went back to your first reports from August 1999 to refresh my memory of what the car looked like when you bought it, and the magnitude of what you have accomplished is all the more remarkable.

It is even more so remarkable, and must be extrememly satsifying to you, that you did so much of this work with your own sweat, tears and maybe even a little bit of blood! The quality of the work on this car I would bet surpasses all but the highest dollar check-book restorations and has the big plus that you have put your heart and soul into it. This will forever be the "Tom Yang Ferrari"!

What an achievement! Now, enjoy the heck out of your work!

Looking forward to seeing you and your car sometime soon.

Regards,

John Ashburne
jsa3

restoration video

Post by jsa3 »

Tom:

I've listened to the sound of that engine in your video over and over.
Congratulations on your very significant contribution, through your meticulous presentation of the restoration process and your untiring willingness to lend your advice and help to others, toward the preservation of the dwindling number of these classics. And, it's nice to see you having fun with it!

Scott
Dallas, Texas
Ade Maritz

Post by Ade Maritz »

Very, very well done, old man.

I've followed your gigantic task from day one, and now that the great day arrived - what on EARTH am I going to do on Friday evenings? Previously I used to settle down with Tom's Ferrari Adventure every Friday evening; marvelling at the skill and patience displayed; chuckling at the funny bits, and commiserating at the unfortunate bits; and always admiring the excellent photography and prose that accompanied 'The Adventure' .... and now it's over. Sigh.

Nonetheless, I am highly pleased that you've brought your project this far, and once the details are completed, DO follow your friend's advice - drive your Ferrari far, and often! (I remember the immense trouble you went to to get the finish on the steering wheel just right - I bet it felt great once it came alive in your hands.)

Congratulations, once again, on a job well done.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hello All,

Thank you, thank you, for all the kind words, but I have one important statement to make...

GET BACK IN YOUR SEATS, IT'S NOT OVER!!!

My restoration of #5053 is far from over. I still have an interior to make, and install, let alone all the tiny little problems that inevitably have to be tended to. This means that there will probably be many more installments to my restoration journal. So have no fear that this journey is over!

Tom Yang
Dr. Ian Levy

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Hello Tom
Writing from England.
I have been away but I am delighted to learn of & indeed share your first drive.
I have been following in your wake for some time now & I cannot wait to follow in your tyre tracks.
The patience & wisdom you have shown must surely inspire anyone who visits your site.
You have shown everyone that there is no such word as "can't" only "can't be bothered".
With patience & determination almost anything can be achieved & you have demonstrated both these qualites together with some considerable skill in abundance
Well done Tom
Regards& best wishes
Ian Levy
Manchester
England
dente

Post by dente »

Tom,

Bravo !

Your video reminded me of the first time I saw Claude Lelouch's film Rendevous.

Envious!

Well done, thanks for the ride.

I am still looking for the right 250 to by myself.
Thanks for all of the insight of what is to be expected when I finally do get my car.

all the best,

dente