Distributor Finish

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Distributor Finish

Post by John Vardanian »

Question about the S85A distributors... are the bodies supposed to be painted similar to the angle-drive bases or are they supposed to be natural finish? If the answer is natural, how can you get them to look clean as new? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Re: Distributor Finish

Post by DWR46 »

John: Marelli S85A distributors were unpainted (bare metal). All we have ever done is to clean them carefully, though you could use some Scotchbrite without getting things to shiny. Also could walnut shell blast them to get a fresh finish.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke. I used scrubbing pads in the past and it's easy to get a shine, which you don't want.
Strange that every cast part on the motor is painted but the distributors aren't.

john
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Marelli distributor N.O.S 20 years on the shelf.

C.
Attachments
IMG_0449_2.jpg
IMG_0449_2.jpg (42.43 KiB) Viewed 8469 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:Question about the S85A distributors... are the bodies supposed to be painted similar to the angle-drive bases or are they supposed to be natural finish? If the answer is natural, how can you get them to look clean as new? Thanks.

john
We've had good success bead blasting the bodies when they are completely disassembled. You have to mask the labels and the shiny machined surfaces.

The differences in surface finish is from having the distributors come from Marrelli and not Ferrari. Different company, different way they finish their product.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Tom, that makes sense.
Cornelis, as always, thanks for the pictures.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Another question, will cad plating the condenser harm it? Are as-original condensers still available? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: original CE1E Condensers are no longer available. Save every on you find!! What they sell today is OK, but not totally correct electrically or in appearance. I have rarely EVER had to replace a condenser on a Ferrari. Same with points, just file them smooth and move forward. I have had some points break a spring and go bad, but rarely.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke, the ones I have tested within range, but the cad plating has worn thin and you can see rust sprinkles. I was wondering if I could have them re-plated. I am thinking the leads or the Bakelite tops may discolor. I guess I'll take the chance. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
5speed

Post by 5speed »

I believe you can get the correct looking CE1E capacitor from Motion Products. I have seen the reproductions and they look very good.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

5Speed: Good comments, but are the microfereds correct?