Spark Plug Wires

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Spark Plug Wires

Post by John Vardanian »

What is the life expectancy of these wires? My wires are about eight years old and they leak. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Re: Spark Plug Wires

Post by DWR46 »

John: It depends on a number of things, the quality of the wire, the storage conditions of the car and the usage conditions. I use Packard 440 solid core wire, and the cars have good climate controlled storage. As such, while I resistance test the wires every few years, they last a LONG (usually 30 years or better) time.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke, what is your pass/fail resistance threshold?

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: Solid core wire should have essentially Zero resistance. High quality spiral wound wire should have no more than 100-150 ohms per foot. Remember, the Bosch connectors used by Ferrari in the 1960s are 1,000 ohm resistors. I have seen quite a number of them go bad, but they are still available.
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

DWR46 wrote:John: Solid core wire should have essentially Zero resistance. High quality spiral wound wire should have no more than 100-150 ohms per foot. Remember, the Bosch connectors used by Ferrari in the 1960s are 1,000 ohm resistors. I have seen quite a number of them go bad, but they are still available.
When I changed ignition stuff on my 330GT, I used --- if I remember correctly --- Packard wire that had very coarse strands and was essentially solid core. There was some writing on the wire insulation that I removed with lacquer thinner.

The spark plug connectors do have a resister inside. Several of mine were defective. They are Bosch with a part number that I could find if need be. They are used on the old Volkswagen Beetles. I phoned up the local old Beetle parts store in in Seattle. I asked how much they were. Answer: $2.40 each. I said that, gulp, I need 12. In that case the guy said that I could get them for $2.00 each. I did not mutter the F word. It's the only time that I have found Ferrari parts to be cheaper.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II