Hub Pullers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

cory

Hub Pullers

Post by cory »

Would anybody be able to confirm or deny if the original RW hub pullers supplied with the Ferrari tool kits had any stampings on them. I have "heard" that the originals had "RW" stamped on them. However I do know that some handles were fixed and some were not leading me to think that the stampings may be the same way. Trying to positively ID an original hub puller.
Thank you
Cory
DWR46

Re: Hub Pullers

Post by DWR46 »

I cannot recall ever seeing an original hub puller with any stampings on it. Maybe I was just not looking.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

I need a hub puller for both the front and rear hubs but I don't want to pay for an expensive original or reproduction. Does anyone know a source for a just a regular workshop tool, or from some other model car that doesn't carry Ferrari Tax. I've got 32 type hubs.

--Tom
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Jumprun wrote:I need a hub puller for both the front and rear hubs but I don't want to pay for an expensive original or reproduction. Does anyone know a source for a just a regular workshop tool, or from some other model car that doesn't carry Ferrari Tax. I've got 32 type hubs.

--Tom
You can use every two or there leg puller with the right reach.
front and rear left and right can be done with one universal puller.
If this is you first job don´t for get that the cotton pin securerd nuts have clockwise ant anti clockwise threads
like the spinner orientation.
Mine are from the brand" Belzer" but are probably german products.
All the parts in the tool roll can be called only collector items,except the puller.
the rest can be named TRASH in the eyes of a serious mechanic.

C.
P.S
Tom a suffix behind you name can identify you here, among 25 Toms here ?
Attachments
IMG_0631.jpg
IMG_0631.jpg (37.14 KiB) Viewed 8182 times
IMG_0632.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg (41.39 KiB) Viewed 8182 times
Suebian330

Post by Suebian330 »

Similar to Cornelis I used a 3-arm puller. As i could not disassemble the rotors because the screws were slipping at the backside I had to machine a threaded disc with same thread as the spinners. So I got good contact points for the puller. See pic.
Hub-Pulling.png
Hub-Pulling.png (241.37 KiB) Viewed 8099 times

Dieter
[b]Suebian330

#8741 330 GT2+2[/b]
cory

Post by cory »

Thanks guys. I too have used those methods. I was really looking to distinguish the repop hub pullers from the real ones. There is some subtleties in machining but was looking for that smoking gun. Price differences are usually a tell tale but even the sellers that say they are "original tool kit items" a lot of times don't know either.
Thank You
Cory
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

cory wrote:Thanks guys. I too have used those methods. I was really looking to distinguish the repop hub pullers from the real ones. There is some subtleties in machining but was looking for that smoking gun. Price differences are usually a tell tale but even the sellers that say they are "original tool kit items" a lot of times don't know either.
Thank You
Cory
Cory, sorry for highjacking your thread, have you tried asking over at the ™other™ site, Tom S is active over there, he would know.
cory

Post by cory »

Theres no high jackers here. I do read the "other" site but do not post very often.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Cory: At this point, I suspect it will be very difficult to tell the difference between an "original" and a "repro" puller. My friend, the late Dave Chambers, made literally hundreds of them in the 1980'-90's for all the suppliers. They were identical to the originals and are now mixed in to the hobby so no one remembers if their puller is original or not.
cory

Post by cory »

DWR46 wrote:Cory: At this point, I suspect it will be very difficult to tell the difference between an "original" and a "repro" puller. My friend, the late Dave Chambers, made literally hundreds of them in the 1980'-90's for all the suppliers. They were identical to the originals and are now mixed in to the hobby so no one remembers if their puller is original or not.
Point taken. I like doing the due diligence when spending money. Trying to fill tool kits is tough enough and now that there seems to be a lot of people making certain representations about what they have for sale and trying to justify their prices for "original" items has made me become a little more skeptical. I'll take what this and Kerry's site has to offer and run with it. Buyer beware!
Thanks
Cory