Cross Country in a 1964 Ferrari?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

I might add though that Chuck has a waiting list of a few months to get in, so should you be stuck in DC, you might consider leasing and apartment while you wait. (or your welcome to our pull-out couch)
FOW will pick up your disabled car in a special red truck, and since I've seen 250gt etc. there being fixed (and they've done nice work on my car) I'd keep them on your list.
Yale

Post by Yale »

Ok ya'll we are getting closer to the time (I know it won't be till August but I am an inveterate planner) when I will actually be doing the title of this thread and an email from the president of the Aston Martin Club who heard about my endeavor and asked that I write a journal for his newsletter made me want to once again plumb the depths of your collective knowledge and ask specifically about any mechanic type folks along my route.

My current route thinking is below so as I get more directed I need more directed information that tells me about folks you know who are actually in or near the towns I may be dropping in on.

New York City - Plattsburgh NY (where I pick up the kid)
Plattsburgh to Detroit (visit my uncle Marty, used to be a lawyer for Ford)
Detroit to Chicago (good science museum)
Chicago to Milwaukee (umm, I'd rather not say)
Milwaukee to Minneapolis (friend lives here)
Minneapolis to South Dakota (seems like lot's of stuff to see in western part of state)
South Dakota to Jackson Hole Wyoming (girlfriends cousin lives here)
Jackson Hole to Portland Or. (never been here and always wanted to go)
Portland - down coast road to San Francisco
San Francisco --home? (truck it and fly - or drive back either alone or with the kid if he's up for it.)

Francois tells me he has driven Ferraris across the US a few times and that route 40 is much nicer then 80 so I guess I would go down to LA and go back that way. Damn that will be a lot of miles.

An earlier suggestion was this guy who seems near Chicago:
Danny Simonson
Foreign Performance
812-473-0770.

Any ideas for Portland?
Minneapolis?

And on the ay home Santa Fe?
Memphis
anyone else on/off Rt 40 coming home (or 90 going out?)

Thanks all.

Yale
fest

oregone

Post by fest »

Yale-

as previously indicated, I am in Eugene, OR
(about 2 hours S of Portland)

I have a fairly well equipped Shop
(if I do say so myself)
if nothing else, I have a great Drop Light
as well as an awesome Floor Jack
so we can give everything a good look see
if you want to make a 'Pit Stop'
on the Portland to Frisco route...

as for 'Pros' in the area
there is an independant Ferrari Shop
in Portland
that comes highly recommended
(but unconfirmed)
I can dig up their number if needed

there also is a gentelman
associated with Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo
(also in Portland)
that is the local Vintage Ferrari V12 Guru
but he is semi-retired
and only works a couple days a week
last time I heard...
but I imagine we could coax him out of retirement
if the need arose
(I can also dig up his contact info)

other than that-
my Shop is always open
to Gear Heads of all persuasions
especially those of the Vintage V12 ilk
AKB
~~~~~~~
400i SI 32635
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

I've got to hand it to you Yale, that is an ambitious trip. I drove back and forth from the Bay Area to the Indy 500 once and several trips to and from Colorado where my wife's family lives - and that is only about a third of the miles you are planning. This was all done in the relative comfort (and reliability) of a Chevy Suburban and it was still a long ass drive. Not to mention the fact that I didn't have to worry about expensive Italian bits exploding as I drove through 110 degree weather in Nevada. Hell, I get nervous driving my 348 for 100 miles. Maybe I'm just a big wuss too. Anyway, good luck to you. There are lots of us here in the Bay Area that can lend a hand should you need it. Was nice meeting you last year in Monterey.

Keith
fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

My wife and I drove to Portland from DC and enjoyed a stop at Glacier National Park in that last part from Jackson Hole to Portland. The road to the sun is worth a detour. Good ferrari roads up in that part of the US-my wife drove faster than 100mph for the first time in her life on that trip.
Have you thought about what you will bring along in terms of road side repair stuff?
Tony
64 330gt 2+2 #6413
donv

Post by donv »

In Portland, there are several options. Craig, at the Jag Shop (don't be fooled by the name-- he is factory trained and does a lot of Ferrari work) does my vintage work, and he knows what he is doing. There is also ATD, who I have heard good and bad things about (mostly good recently).

Finally, there is Ron Tonkin, the dealer. The good thing about them is that Ron Tonkin, the owner, has a huge collection of vintage Ferraris and is always having the dealership work on them, so they have quite a bit of vintage experience. The bad news is that they have had difficulty keeping techs, so you never know.

I highly recommend the Benbow Inn as an overnight stop between Portland and San Francisco (http://www.benbowinn.com). I haven't been there in a few years, but last time I was there it was great.
1969 365GT 2+2
rodog

Post by rodog »

Yale-

Just an FYI-Danny Simonson of Foreign Performance is in Evansville, Indiana. Evansville is approximately 6 hours south of Chicago. I am sure that there is a reputable mechanic in either Chicago or Indianapolis which has an active FCA club. Additionally, there is someone on this site from the area around Auburn Indiana- home of KRUSE INTERNATIONAL Auctions. Maybe they could help.
Good Luck,

Greg
Enzo250GTO

Post by Enzo250GTO »

Yale,

Can you be more specific about the planned route? I'm guessing you would choose to go via Pittsburgh -> Cleveland -> Chicago -> Salt Lake -> Portland

or do you plan to swing further south? After the drive are you taking the car back home on a trailer or driving both ways?

I know Chicago has places that can do the work, Cleveland as well but once you get west of Chicago I'm useless.
Enzo250GTO

Post by Enzo250GTO »

:oops: :oops: I should read ALL post before answering. Sorry.