ansa vs abarth exhaust

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Edward 96GTS

ansa vs abarth exhaust

Post by Edward 96GTS »

when did ferrari go from abarth to ansa exhausts?
thanks
DWR46

Re: ansa vs abarth exhaust

Post by DWR46 »

Funny you should ask. Parker Hall called with the same question two days ago. Abarth ends with approximately #6700. Then Spacem and Ceretto become the major suppliers. Ansa does not appear until the Daytona.
Yale

Post by Yale »

Dyke,

Was there a sound or power difference with the original Abarth system? Do Spacem and Ceretto still exist? How were they? I know you and Timo like to go on disparaging stainless steel systems but I didn't like the Ansa system and have had my car for 14 years now and still have an exhaust, something that wouldn't be able to be said for a mild steel system in the northeast. At least one that is taken out of the garage and driven 25,000 miles. :)
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
tyang

Post by tyang »

I had a conversation with Greg Jones a while ago about his work trying to recreate a reproduction Abarth exhaust system, and how they sounded so different than the stainless steel system. I explained it was no wonder why these systems sounded so differently because of the difference in materials. Stainless steel is different in many characteristics to mild steel found in original exhausts. SS is a denser material with a different composition so it's going to resonate differently than plain steel. I'm sure there is a way to make SS resonate at a similar tone to mild steel, but not without changing it's wall thickness, and size defeating the idea of a reproduction exhaust. Life is all about compromise.

The ANSA and ABARTH debate is going to stir a lot of controversy in the Vintage Ferrari show world. Most reproduction SS systems were copied off the ANSA designs, and only in the last several years have shops started to copy the original Abarth systems. Nearly every pre 330 vintage Ferrari I see, unless they have an original exhaust, have some kind of ANSA or ANSA copy. If you want to enter your car into FCA judging, you're going to have to consider getting an ABARTH copy unless you can afford to lose points. Whoever is making these systems is going to be busy!!!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Yale: I do not believe I ever "disparaged" the stainless steel systems. I just pointed out that they will sound "different' than a mild steel system. Most of the traditional Ferrari "sound" we are familiar with has come via mild steel systems. For durability, I love stainless steel, but some people find Ferrari's sound "different" with stainless systems. If you really want to hear "Ferrari Sound", find a car with an original Abarth system. Our GTB has one and it is amazing, not at all like the current Ansa type systems.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

My PF coupe sounds quieter and mellower at high rev. It has the original Abarth, except for the tail pieces which were dissected and re-stuffed.

john
PF Coupe
Timo

Post by Timo »

Yale wrote:... Timo like to go on disparaging stainless steel systems...
LOL. So, I've been outed for one of my pet peeves again. It's just that sometimes I wish offer other view points on these rather anonymous on-line "discussions" to current and future readers, so that they can perhaps make decisions based on broader understanding of issue(s) they are dealing with.
Yes, stainless exhaust system will last longer, but in my experience, often sounds noticeably different although some may prefer that and if an owner of a car is keen to collect high scores at judged events, it may not help.
I know my advises or opinions can come across bit "disparaging" (?), which some times I like to excuse on lack of any formal education in English (or anything else, for that matter), but at least most are based actual experiences...

Yale wrote:I ...have had my car for 14 years now and... is taken out of the garage and driven 25,000 miles. :)

You Sir, are exemplary exception to many vintage car owners and my hat's off for you.
My personal highest mileage achievement (for a vintage car), so far, was 70K+ miles with a (unrestored/"survivor") 1957 Chrysler New Yorker convertible in about 20 year ownership. Longest ownership achievement, 25+ years so far, 1932 Plymouth Roadster ("old school" Hot Rod) with 20K-25K miles of which 75-80% within last few years (due to selling the aforementioned '57 Chrysler).
Timo
Yale

Post by Yale »

And Timo I put 25,000 miles on my 330 with it being in the shop for literally 1/2 of my time as owner. I used to track how much I spent on maintenance every year here in Tom Yang land until I got to total about $70,000!!!!! (Then I was just embarrassed).

The thing that gets me about aftermarket exhaust manufacturers, is they don't seem to want to play around with the acoustic parameters to work the sound into something that would be what it should be. They just replicate, to the best of their ability, what the previous system baffles -looked- like. It seems to me one could experiment and create all sorts of cool more accurate sounding systems.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Timo

Post by Timo »

Nothing to be embarrassed about for being true enthusiast and maintaining your pride and joy properly with costs given secondary consideration.
I hear you about the remanufacturing, but having myself been involved in numerous such endeavors for variety of vintage car parts and components over the years, I also know the cost of them. There are lot of things we would like to see more accurately reproduced, but in many instances there just aren't enough demand (or willingness to pay) to justify the costs involved.
I just recently reproduced vintage car components of which new ones have not been available for decades, all the used ones are usually in pretty bad shape (and not repairable) and I'm hoping to recuperate my initial investment perhaps within few years (??) by selling enough of them at around $2K each. Not to mention my reproductions are better in overall quality and fit than O.E.M. or the fact that I almost gave up on this particular endeavor 8-10 months ago, just to stop the "bleeding" before it gets too much, since I don't have deep pockets and do have several other "irons in the fire" that may or may not pay off in the long run either.
Timo
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Timo wrote: I just recently reproduced vintage car components of which new ones have not been available for decades,..
Anything we should know about?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Timo

Post by Timo »

Tom Wilson wrote:
Timo wrote: I just recently reproduced vintage car components of which new ones have not been available for decades,..
Anything we should know about?
Thanks for asking, but above reference, although pricing might suggest so, is not for Ferrari parts.
I have recently produced number of vintage Ferrari components, but not ready to release some of them yet due to unfinished verification research... some may not even come available to public sales at all.
Timo