Windshield Washer

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

treue

Windshield Washer

Post by treue »

Jemmun,

Would anyone know where my windshield washer switch and pump are located? I have the squirter nozzles mounted on the cowl and a salvage reservoir bag mounted on the battery holddown, but nothing else. There is a white, squarish pump that makes noise when connected to 12VDC, but we're not sure that it really belongs to 9129.

I have only two stalks on the steering column (compared to Kerry’s (8755) three: http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/h ... _stalk.htm ). The owner’s manual I have points to where my choke knob is located and calls it the windshield washer switch but then, in the text, implies that it is a foot-operated switch.

Where is the pump mounted? Or MIGHT be mounted?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
330GT

Re: Windshield Washer

Post by 330GT »

treue wrote:Jemmun,

Would anyone know where my windshield washer switch and pump are located? I have the squirter nozzles mounted on the cowl and a salvage reservoir bag mounted on the battery holddown, but nothing else. There is a white, squarish pump that makes noise when connected to 12VDC, but we're not sure that it really belongs to 9129.

I have only two stalks on the steering column (compared to Kerry’s (8755) three: http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/h ... _stalk.htm ). The owner’s manual I have points to where my choke knob is located and calls it the windshield washer switch but then, in the text, implies that it is a foot-operated switch.

Where is the pump mounted? Or MIGHT be mounted?

Thanks,
Tom
The pump is mounted under the battery bolted to the inner fender panel. The stalk on the R side of the steering wheel turns on the pump when puilled. The 4HL cars did have a foot operated pump with an electric switch that made the wipers swipe when the pump was depressed.

As we have discussed before, your car probably has had some wiring changed as it has only 12 fuses. The interim (4HL/5sp) only had 2 stalks (turn/lights) and no stalk where the old O/D switch was, just like your car.

How do you turn on your wipers? An extra switch somewhere?
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
treue

Post by treue »

Kerry,

The wiper switch knob is between and below the tach and water temp gage. It's function as controller of wiper movement on 9129 has been verified. There is no right stalk on the steering column. The upholsterer (had the interior, ceiling-to-floor, stripped to bare metal) does not recall evidence of a foot-operated switch. One theory (untested) is that the wiper switch also might function as a washer switch (push-pull as well as turn as with the Miura). Your location for the pump is unverified, but undisputed, at present. Film at 11.

Thanks for the response.

Tom
Tom Treue
peterp

Post by peterp »

treue wrote:Kerry,

The wiper switch knob is between and below the tach and water temp gage. It's function as controller of wiper movement on 9129 has been verified. There is no right stalk on the steering column. The upholsterer (had the interior, ceiling-to-floor, stripped to bare metal) does not recall evidence of a foot-operated switch. One theory (untested) is that the wiper switch also might function as a washer switch (push-pull as well as turn as with the Miura). Your location for the pump is unverified, but undisputed, at present. Film at 11.

Thanks for the response.

Tom
Hello Tom. Did you ever find the windshield washer switch? My car (8169) sounds the same as yours. I have only 2 stalks and a pull wiper switch on the right. The wiper switch pulls out to 2 positions to control wiper speed, but there is no other action (twist or push to activate the washer). I looked at cars surrounding my SN and they seem to be same. Yours is quite a bit later than mine, I'm guessing that S2 cars without factory A/C (rocker switches in center) had the same setup as a pull knob for wipers, so I don't know how you turn on the washers on these cars.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
treue

Post by treue »

Hi Peter,

My shop eventually installed a new Miura switch (right period, anyway) in the W spot. It has two pull positions and two rotation positions. The pull positions are off and on for the wipers and the rotation positions are off and on for the washer. (I think I have that right.) The knob still has the W on it. That works the wipers and washer, but no one seems to be absolutely certain that this is the correct configuration. Recall that 9129 had just the two stalks which were already committed to lighting duties and there APPEARED to be no mounting holes for a foot-operated switch for the washer system.

9129 has been sold to a chap in California, so I can’t look at the car for any verification.

Tom
Tom Treue
peterp

Post by peterp »

Thanks Tom -- the Miura switch sounds like the best possible solution in the absence of finding a factory switch. It is quite a mystery though -- I looked through Kerry's registry and there is no shortage of cars with only 2 stalks (on the left) and the "W" wiper pull switch, so it seems like the washer switch needs to be somewhere. Some of the cars with that switch configuration have no washer bag either, but some (like 8141) has that switch configuration and a washer bag. Of course, it's impossible to know whether the presence or absence of a washer bag in current photos reflects how the car was delivered.
Peter P
treue

Post by treue »

Peter,

The original W knob fit the Miura switch fine, apparently, and the “new?” system worked fine.

I looked at several cars, both Series I and II, on the Fantasy Junction website and could not see a foot-operated windshield washer switch nor any room to put one (the pedal is about 3” in diameter). None of the cars appeared to even have a washer bag in the engine bay.

Some more anomalies: my car had two six-fuse blocks on the electrical panel. I guess that the fuse blocks could have been changed, post-sale, from the two eight-fuse blocks to two six-fuse blocks, but why? My car had two large outboard bolsters on the rear seat and no ashtray in back. How that happened is anybody’s guess since there is no documentation on any of these changes and a previous owner doesn’t know, either.

I guess this is all part of the charm of these cars.

BTW, I am now the proud owner of an 07 F430 Coupe. It is rosso corsa over beige which is the way we like it out here in the Provinces, Tom. I am fixing all the little paint blemishes and upgrading several areas of the car. Still a Ferrari, still doing restoration work, just a different era.

Tom
Tom Treue
peterp

Post by peterp »

Thanks for your feedback Tom and congrats on the 430. After working on the 330, I'm sure it's quite a luxury to restore a newer car where parts, paint codes, documentation, and everything else is readily available (I'm going through the same thing cleaning up my wife's almost perfect 996).
Peter P