Cooling fans

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tim

Cooling fans

Post by tim »

Greetings.. The Big Yellow Taxi came to me without any electric cooling fan but the wiring diagram shows one. I believe these were the Lucas fans as fitted to the Jaguar XKE. Were there one or two fans fitted and does anyone have a picture of them in the car. (Not that the car is suffering any overheating problems with the heads, back from Patrick Ottis, sitting on the dining room floor.)

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
cory

Re: Cooling fans

Post by cory »

Series 1fan......and cooling fan
Cory
Attachments
IMG_20141125_153118.jpg
IMG_20141125_153118.jpg (65.38 KiB) Viewed 10691 times
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tim: If you purchase a Lucas fan motor, be sure to check the direction of rotation. As I recall, Jag fans rotate the opposite direction from Ferrari fans. The rotation of the motors can be reversed. I had this happen to me once, when I kneeled down to look in the grille opening to check the fan operation on my 330 GT and was hit in the face by a blast of hot air. That also explained why the car ran hot sometimes.
Timo

Post by Timo »

DWR46 wrote:Tim: If you purchase a Lucas fan motor, be sure to check the direction of rotation. As I recall, Jag fans rotate the opposite direction from Ferrari fans. The rotation of the motors can be reversed. I had this happen to me once, when I kneeled down to look in the grille opening to check the fan operation on my 330 GT and was hit in the face by a blast of hot air. That also explained why the car ran hot sometimes.
I've seen similar mis-wirings and/or backwards mounted blades on cooling fan assemblies in few Daytonas, including couple of concourse entries. Also on heater blower motors assemblies. For ones I had a chance to service, corrections provided significant efficiency improvements.
Timo
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

I just went through the Lucas cooling fan deal. My car came with one original Lucas and a later replacement so I bought a used lucas from a Jag and it ran backwards to what I needed, the funny thing was that there is a little curved arrow on the front cover that I assumed was the rotation direction but it ran opposite to that indicator. I reversed the direction by carefully un-soldering the two wires inside and reversed them, I don't know exactly what I did but it worked. I also needed to drill and tap for a new set screw for the fan blade due to a stripped original thread and I discovered the fan blades on this GTC are definitely MAGNESIUM, not aluminum as I've heard before.

Tom in Socal
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: I have looked and held those fans in my hands for over 40 years, but it never occurred to me that they were magnesium instead of aluminum. Once you said it, it was obvious! Good observation!
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Tom in Socal after reading you're post I could believe either,
but checking my trash I can conform it too.
the little fan in the front from a 166 F-car has the same material
the one in the back is steel 128F engine long version( horizotal oil filter).

thanks

C.
Attachments
166 engine fan
166 engine fan
IMG_0795.jpg (121.08 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings…. Thanks for the input. I have a Jag fan motor and a Jag fan-4 blade plastic. I haven't checked the direction of rotation yet and am not sure I will try them. I might just make up some brackets to mount an aftermarket fan which will probably work better. Cory, is the bracket the motor is mounted on welded to the square tube crossmember? I find no evidence there has ever been anything fastened there as well as the brackets coming down from the round crossed tubes. Perhaps the change came between our cars, 5749 and 5769.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
cory

Post by cory »

tim wrote:Greetings…. Thanks for the input. I have a Jag fan motor and a Jag fan-4 blade plastic. I haven't checked the direction of rotation yet and am not sure I will try them. I might just make up some brackets to mount an aftermarket fan which will probably work better. Cory, is the bracket the motor is mounted on welded to the square tube crossmember? I find no evidence there has ever been anything fastened there as well as the brackets coming down from the round crossed tubes. Perhaps the change came between our cars, 5749 and 5769.

Tim
Tim. No, it is not welded. The motor bracket is bolted to the square stock crossmember with 10mm x apx 1.25" bolts. There should be 2 thru holes in the crossmember. The arms come off of the motor bracket and up to those clamps that wrap around the cross bracing that you can see in the picture. I had to crop the picture so some of that detail was missing. That picture was form a series 1, early 6000 serial number, I am working on. The set up on 5749 was the same.
Cory
enio45

Post by enio45 »

If the car had air conditioning - did it get a second fan? Normally one fan for non ac cars?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
330GT

Post by 330GT »

enio45 wrote:If the car had air conditioning - did it get a second fan? Normally one fan for non ac cars?
If you are asking about 330 GTs w/electric fans, the answer to both questions is Yes. However, due to the way they would easily overheat on hot days in slow traffic, the obvious solution was to add a second fan, so some have 2 fans w/o A/C.

Note, the stock wiring had one fan come on whenever A/C was on, but both fans ran when the thermocouple on the radiator got hot.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
treue

Post by treue »

Guys,

Nope. Has two even in a car that has never had air conditioning. The Lucas motors are bolted to squared-U brackets that are welded to the X-tubes in front of the radiator.

9129 got its radiator re-cored with an additional row of tubes. Now, even in the 90s, the temperature gages are at 40 to 50% of the gage span. When the OAT is in the 60s, the needles hardly get off of the pegs.

BTW, if you ever need to have the cast fan blades weld-repaired, be advised that they are made out of MAGNESIUM.

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
enio45

Post by enio45 »

My car 8289 does not have AC - european car and was purchased from the orig owner - never any damage.

yes, the fans are mounted on the brackets on the X brace - but mine car had one fan since new......the other blue wire for a second fan was included in the wiring harness unused, taped and secured from the factory. As tom has done - i recored my rad and i did add
the second fan to the system just to ease my mind......just did not seem to really be an efficient system etc.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS