Pininfarina Paint

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Suebian330

Pininfarina Paint

Post by Suebian330 »

I am facing a respray of 8741. As it is still the original paint I do not want to sand down to bare metal.At least not the areas where no corrosion is obvious. Does anybody know what kind of paint the Pininfarina Factory did use. I assume it was a one component paint.
My paint shop asked me the question if they did use an enamel paint which is acrylic base. Or did they use a laquer paint (thermoplast) which needs to be heated up after painting.

I hope you can understand my question. I am not so familiar with the specific terms used in US and translation programs are not a big help.
[b]Suebian330

#8741 330 GT2+2[/b]
DWR46

Re: Pininfarina Paint

Post by DWR46 »

By 8741, Pininfarina was using acrylic lacquer.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Acrylic laquer is a single stage, 2 component (color & reducer, also known as "thinner") paint which usually does not require heating for curing. It can be painted over if proper cleaning and other preparations are performed, but might be advisable to seal it prior to application of any subsequent substrates or top colors.
Timo
Suebian330

Post by Suebian330 »

Thanks for yout quick answer. Your information is another small step forward for my restauration.

Dieter
[b]Suebian330

#8741 330 GT2+2[/b]