250GT Distributor Caps

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Edward 96GTS

Re: 250GT Distributor Caps

Post by Edward 96GTS »

john,
i think he said it was labeled for a lamborghini.
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

John Vardanian wrote:Cornelis, thanks as always for the reference pictures. Looking at your pictures, it seems to me that the original caps start life in a much darker shade of brown (almost black), then over time they get lighter. Agree?

Your pictures answered another question I was going to ask, and that is, is the left distributor supposed to be numbered 1-6 or 7-12. It looks like it should be numbered 7-12. Is this the original labeling in your picture?

john
I've never seen a Ferrari distributor numbered 7 --- 12, only two distributors each numbered 1 --- 6.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Lowell wrote:
John Vardanian wrote:Cornelis, thanks as always for the reference pictures. Looking at your pictures, it seems to me that the original caps start life in a much darker shade of brown (almost black), then over time they get lighter. Agree?

Your pictures answered another question I was going to ask, and that is, is the left distributor supposed to be numbered 1-6 or 7-12. It looks like it should be numbered 7-12. Is this the original labeling in your picture?

john
I've never seen a Ferrari distributor numbered 7 --- 12, only two distributors each numbered 1 --- 6.
J & l,
Yes ,the M.I.B old caps are very bark brown all most black.

they will be discolored by UV and a hot motor bay I think, then appear later in a lighter brown.

the new one ordered now at the Concessionari Ufficiali ferrari are black plastic.

the come in a right and left version with the number 1-6 and 7-12 already on the caps.

they send however an extra set of numbes with them incl. this cork spacer/ seal

best

C.
Attachments
IMG_1745.jpg
IMG_1745.jpg (107.16 KiB) Viewed 11497 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I have another question. The hoop at the base of the distributor that the wires go thru when they leave the cap, there is a black rubber insulation there. Can someone tell me of this is a round grommet or else? Thank you.

john
PF Coupe
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

John Vardanian wrote:I have another question. The hoop at the base of the distributor that the wires go thru when they leave the cap, there is a black rubber insulation there. Can someone tell me of this is a round grommet or else? Thank you.

john
I just replaced both of mine, it is a standard rubber grommet, I found a perfect match at a local hardware store, I don't remember exactly what size it was but I think it was 3/4" ID. I brought the metal ring with me and found the largest one that would fit.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks, Jumprun.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Since we're on the topic of the metal ring, I'd like to survey what finish it should be, Black oxide, or white cad? Francois is under the opinion that it's black oxide, but I've seen restored cars with them finished in white cad. Cornelis, do you have any unrestored ones in your parts stash?

FYI, a regular grommet will work fine, but MPI has these you can buy with a much nicer low profile grommet. They used have them in steel or aluminum. The aluminum ones mimic the white cad finish without having it rust with age.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: I think you are both partially correct. On a 275, the original "rings" are bare metal, with no plating. This makes them look a little like black oxide, yet they have a slightly "silver" appearance if they are not rusted. I do not know how to attach photos, so I will email them to you and you can post if you wish.
rshim1

Post by rshim1 »

On pages 30 - 31 of the book Ferrari by L. Setright is a photo of an early 250 GTE engine compartment. It is the best period reference photo I have seen of an outside plug 250 engine compartment. In this photo the wire support rings are clearly not cad plated. A case could be made that they are either bare steel or black oxide. The book is not rare and well worth getting for that one photo.
250 PF Cab. SN 3783
250GT

Post by 250GT »

tyang wrote:Since we're on the topic of the metal ring, I'd like to survey what finish it should be, Black oxide, or white cad? Francois is under the opinion that it's black oxide, but I've seen restored cars with them finished in white cad. Cornelis, do you have any unrestored ones in your parts stash?

FYI, a regular grommet will work fine, but MPI has these you can buy with a much nicer low profile grommet. They used have them in steel or aluminum. The aluminum ones mimic the white cad finish without having it rust with age.

Tom
Tom,

I think you are talking about the guideways ,I cannot start much with the description rings.

Here are some N.O.S "rings" which were touched by salty fingers.

this is bare metal with rusts spots .

Closed and open version possibilities.

C.
Attachments
IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_1763.jpg (101.89 KiB) Viewed 11422 times
IMG_1762.jpg
IMG_1762.jpg (89.51 KiB) Viewed 11422 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Here are the pictures of the keepers Dyke had sent.
wirekeepers2.jpg
wirekeepers2.jpg (54.3 KiB) Viewed 11394 times
wirekeepers1.jpg
wirekeepers1.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 11394 times
'63 330 America #5053
enio45

Post by enio45 »

john, i have several nos caps purchased back in 75 era that came with the ellena car - -ill get pics this weekend and post them....
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Ed.

Just want to report on the appearance issue with my distributors. I washed mine with soap and hot water, then buffed them on the wheel with some rouge, applied new numbering and what a difference this made. The Bakelite actually gets a few shades darker after this "exfoliation" process. But, I was a nervous wreck the whole time, worried the wheel would rip the cap out of my hands. It all went well and with freshly blasted distributor bodies, we look a lot more respectable now.

john
PF Coupe
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

John Vardanian wrote:Thanks Ed.

Just want to report on the appearance issue with my distributors. I washed mine with soap and hot water, then buffed them on the wheel with some rouge, applied new numbering and what a difference this made. The Bakelite actually gets a few shades darker after this "exfoliation" process. But, I was a nervous wreck the whole time, worried the wheel would rip the cap out of my hands. It all went well and with freshly blasted distributor bodies, we look a lot more respectable now.

john
I'm happy that worked for you.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Another tidiness related question... how do you deal with the oxidation on the the shunt capacitors? I don't think you can re-plate these and new replacements are hard to find. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe