Trouble starting my GTC

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Trouble starting my GTC

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I know this is basic stuff, and nothing as erudite as some of the posts, but it’s a struggle for me. My GTC starts by turning the key to the “run” or “on” position, spooling up the fuel pump. than hitting a starter button on the console. The key doesn’t go to the “start” position like most cars.

For several months, occasionally, the car wouldn’t spool up nor start, unless you took the key back to the “lock” position. Then, the fuel pump would go on and the car would start. About three weeks ago, the fuel pump came on, as did its attendant blue warning light, the car would crank (you could hear the starter) but wouldn’t fire up. The accelerator pumps squirt fuel into the venturis, but there’s no spark at the plugs. Ergo, I concluded that this was an electrical problem. So far so good. I was further able to prove that in the “run” position, there was no voltage at the coil (+) and so I bought an NOS Bosch ignition switch/relay (it has 6 prongs). Ignition relay installed...still won’t start, and no voltage at the coil in either the crank nor run positions. The old relay appeared to be malfunctioning when, on the bench, you tried to move the tang on the back with a small screwdriver.

I’m pretty sure it’s installed correctly, but it’s on my short list, as is the fact that the ignition switch is defective, tho’ new. Have I missed something here? Could it be the starter itself?? Any help would be much appreciated. Is there a way to test the ignition switch?

thanx. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Steve Meltzer

Re: Trouble starting my GTC

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Oh yeah, and one more thing, probably unrelated. I thought my fuel gauge functioned with the key in the "on" position, but it doesn't now. Maybe this is (yet) another issue. thanx again. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Hi Steve, do I understand you correctly that your car has a separate starter button installed on the dash? To me this all sounds like a faulty ignition switch, It could just have heavy deposits or corrosian on the internal contacts. If it were me I'd remove the ignition switch and bench test it. I'd also bench test your old relay. Get the wiring diagram and follow the juice from the battery to the first component, testing and cleaning contacts along the way. I cleaned up my relay contacts and made sure they closed with authority when applying 12v. Make sure the ground strap contact at the battery and valve cover is clean secure, my car was cranking a little slow until made sure I had a good ground.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Was wondering how to test the contact points. I won't have time to work on this for a week or so, but will post the list, when I do. thanx so much. s
steve meltzer,
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Relays are very easy to check, first remove it from the car, then remove the cover, connect a 12 volt battery to the appropriate terminals, observe that the small coil pulls the contact points together, if that works well, file the contacts smooth with a point file or something similar. Now attach a test light, or better yet, a multi-meter to the appropriate terminals to make sure that when the contacts are pulled together they are making a good electrical connection with no resistance.
The general way relays operate is when the key switch is in the "on" position it makes the connection that pulls the contacts together to energize the main circuit.

I suppose you could do this test in the car but hearing a relay click is only an indication that the key switch and contact circuit is working but the contacts may be burned or glazed over preventing full operation of the main circuit. I also like to take the cover off to closely inspect all the connections and insulation too.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx so much for the schooling. let me start with the old one, on the bench. so much appreciated. s
steve meltzer,
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I glanced quickly at the switch and are you sure you can "pry" it apart? looks pretty snug in there. here's the link to my photo. thanx. s

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4480
steve meltzer,
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Steve Meltzer wrote:I glanced quickly at the switch and are you sure you can "pry" it apart? looks pretty snug in there. here's the link to my photo. thanx. s

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4480
Sorry Steve, my procedure was for a relay, I thought you meant the ignition relay on the fuse panel, I now see you meant the ignition switch. I've never taken that particular switch apart but what do you have to lose if it's bad?
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

ah right, gimme that big %$#^& screwdriver and a hammer, too. s
steve meltzer,
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

My error and ignorance for incorrectly describing it...sorry and thanx for your forbearance. s
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

It sounds like the contact switches in your ignition switch might me going bad. Get a test light, lay under the dash, and test each circuit with the key in various positions. If your fuel gauge isn't working, do the other gauges not work either? It might just be a bad connection on the spade connector on the back of the ignition switch. Sometimes pulling the switch to bench test it will eliminate the problem only to have it come back when you put it all back together. Try to test the switch in place to see if it's just a bad connection.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx, Tom. I'll be working on it next week. I"ll post the list. s
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

Follow my mantra, fix easy things first. Don't tear it all apart before you make sure it's not just a loose wire. Check the spade connectors for tight connections. Sometimes, they will loosen, and then the high resistance will cause them to heat up, and distort.

Good luck.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I replaced the ignition switch, which didn't solve the problem, so with some adult supervision, we traced this problem to the ignition relay on the fuse panel. since these are hard to find and expensive, we put a 40a Bosch relay (O'Reilly, $20) inside the relay housing. Car started great, tho' I'm thinking of puttng in the high torque starter mentioned in a recent post. Special thanks to JumpRun who pointed me toward the relay. BTW: the starter switch is from a Guilietta. thank you all again for your help .s
steve meltzer,