Pinion bearing extraction

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

SLM

Pinion bearing extraction

Post by SLM »

I am replacing the pinion bearing and stopped here to think on how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Steve
Attachments
pinion.jpg
pinion.jpg (72.19 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
62 250GTE S/N 3733
250GT

Re: Pinion bearing extraction

Post by 250GT »

Steve,

I went through this several times.
and at the end i did it over and over again wrong.
When a RA was singing i tried it first with thicker oil.
then when no success , i exchange the outside bearing by pulling out the 2 schafts
no success.
You can pull out the centre R,I.V bearing but difficult to find grip and right puller.
but it will be a lottery from 1 to 10 million that the wear pattern on the kingwheel will be perfect by putting reverse.
so sorry ,but would advice to take out the whole RA. p.i.b
so you can adjust the harmony from king wheel and pinion correct (paint check).
singing RA are mostly coursed by the king and pinion imo ,but you have always a change that s not…
toi toi toi

C.
Attachments
IMG_1847.jpg
IMG_1847.jpg (125.14 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
John Vardanian

Re: Pinion bearing extraction

Post by John Vardanian »

The fitting between the bearing carrier and the aluminum casing is very tight. On my '59, I used a brass pin and hammer and worked it at alternating 3/9 o'clock, then 6/12 o'clock, it came out. The half shafts tubes come out with the same degree of difficulty. I do not have an explanation for this tightness of fitting other than to minimize oil leaks. Before refitting, I removed a couple of thousands from the alloy casing and the tightness became much more manageable. With Loctite 518 the fitting does not have to be so tight. On the other hand, I went thru the same routine with my '64 and there was no drama there at all, the half shaft tubes easily slipped out and slipped back in.

john
PF Coupe