What are the best jacking points for a 330GT?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

peterp

What are the best jacking points for a 330GT?

Post by peterp »

Yes, I realize this is the stupidest question ever posted on TY, but where are the best places to jack up a 330 GT with a floor jack?

I use the cross member for the front, but am not sure what point is best for the rear. I vaguely recall a discussion about the rear differential being used as a jack point, but I'm not positive I'm recalling that discussion correctly and I'm a bit concerned with using the jack on the aluminum differential housing. I would appreciate any advice.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
330GT

Re: What are the best jacking points for a 330GT?

Post by 330GT »

I have used the differential in the past. The only caveat is to make sure that the jack isn't partially on the fuel tank. I managed to have one lip of the jack catch on my tank once. Note, on an early 250, you don't want to do this as the differential serial number is stamped on the bottom. Mine was barely readable on the PF coupe by the time I bought it.

Note, on a 2 post lift, I position the front two arms to use the extensions behind the front wheels (below the splash shields). For the rear, I use the two projections from the chassis for the two rear arms.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
peterp

Post by peterp »

Thanks Kerry -- this helps a lot. I will watch out for the fuel tank.
Peter P
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Peter,

The rear axle is fine for jacking, but make sure you have a rag or soft cover to your jack to avoid scratching up your diff case. I think with your differential, it's smooth, while the 250s are ribbed aluminum.

I usually place jack stands on the bottom of the rear axle locating arms, or large ones extended up to the axle tubes. The front is a little more tricky. I like to use the front out riggers just behind the front wheels that extend out from the frame and connect to the rockers, but check to make sure they are not rusty. Using the frame rail at the front is tricky. The frame kicks up at that point, and can cause a jack stand to move when you set a car down on the main frame there. Also watch for fuel lines, and electrical wires that run along the frame rail at this point.

Be safe!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
peterp

Post by peterp »

Thanks Tom. My differential is indeed smooth. I will use a towel to protect it. I guess chocking the front wheels is also important while the rear is in the air. I think I have a set somewhere -- need to see if they actually stay in place on RaceDeck (which is somewhat slick).

Thanks for the advice on the front as well. I agree that placement of the jack stands on the frame is a bit tricky up front, I usually leave the jack in place with the stands for safety. I'll take a look at using the outriggers next time I jack the front.
Peter P