found some mystery parts

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

treue

Re: found some mystery parts

Post by treue »

Thanks, Dyke. I knew you'd come through.

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
lukek

Post by lukek »

Thanks for the help with identifying the parts and the discussion about the knock off methods was useful. I have been looking to get another E-type, so this kind of stuff is always good to learn about.
The parts are on fleabay under user name "internet.interface", just in case my garage cleaning items are something that people are missing on their car, or the new owner of my car (4823) posts up from Europe. I will swap these parts for the Enzo Ferrari autographed postcard that I had mistakenly "given away" with the records.
;)
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
BobA

Post by BobA »

In regard to Treue's post, I believe there is incorrect info provided. On my 250's the left side had RH threads and the right side had LH threads. The direction of the arrow indicates direction of removal, which is opposite of thread hand. Bob A
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I have read many discussions on this forum as well as FChat about torquing the lug nuts. I am curious, what makes us think that the lug nuts have to be torqued? Where did this notion originate? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: Even when using a knock off hammer, you are "torqueing" the nut. A hammer hitting a nail generates about 3,000 g's of force (that's why your thumb hurts when you hit it). The knock off system was designed to apply a certain torque value with a lead hammer hitting the angled side of the knock off to tighten it and to generate more torque when hitting the straight side of the ear to be sure you can loosen the nut.