Setting float level on DCZ

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Setting float level on DCZ

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I want to check the float levels on my DCZ carbs. The shop manual shows this to be done with the top of the carb, upside down on a flat surface. Then it looks like (in that position) the float rests at 3mm and here's where I'm confused: the diagram in the manual shows the total float travel to be 7mm (10-3), but step #5 in
dcz float setting.jpeg
dcz float setting.jpeg (194.61 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
the text says it's 7.5mm. I'm not sure I can measure 0.5mm, but I do want to be as accurate as I can. Here's the diagram from the shop manual. thanx. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DWR46

Re: Setting float level on DCZ

Post by DWR46 »

Steve: Set them at 3mm and 10mm. However, DO NOT hold the carb top cover upside down if you are using spring loaded needles and seats. If you have spring loaded N&S, hold the carb vertically so you do not compress the ball in the needle valve. Mike Pierce says to, when replacing a solid N&S with a spring loaded unit, set the floats with the ball compressed halfway. This is hard to do, but either no compression or with the ball half compressed should work well for you. I have always NOT compressed the ball and had no issues, even if it results in a slightly higher fuel height.
Steve Meltzer

Re: Setting float level on DCZ

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx so much, Dyke. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."