Fender covers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Fender covers

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Yeah, things in the office are slow this AM! As I look at Tom's blog I notice that he appears to use those packing or shipping blankets for fender covers.
When I've tried blankets in the past, they've always seemed to slip off and they pick up debris from the ground, so now I use these pretty nice mats from Summit. But, what's best, or does it matter? thanx. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Re: Fender covers

Post by John Vardanian »

I use a pair of yoga mats, they stick pretty well, sometimes in the cold you'll need the aid of some clips and tape onto the windshield. They are long enough for the front wings of my 2600mm chassis. You want to be careful with things that are too sticky, they might leave impression or delaminate.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

when i first started getting serious about cars, I picked up some foam like carpet underlayment at HD, still have it and use occasionally. Always try to keep the "dirty side" up. thanx. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

Steve, Which particular Summit fender cover did you get?
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

The reason we use thick packing blankets is because some of the road cars and race cars we work on have aluminum fenders. An errant tool, or elbow can distort the think metal and leave a mark when leaning over the engine compartment. We use a soft towel between the fender and the blanket to avoid having dirt on the paint. We also often times use spring clamps to secure the packing blankets to the inner sheet metal.

All the vinyl fender covers are not soft enough, and too thin for our taste. When the packing blankets get too dirty, we toss them and buy new ones.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Tom, Thanx...this info is about 13 years too late....gotta couple of "elbow dings" (you can see 'em at certain visual angles) in the fenders of my "aluminium" Kirkham Cobra.Thanx for pointing out the use of a towel layered between the fender and the packing blanket. s
steve meltzer,
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

One clear advantage to your system is that it can be left on the car almost indefinitely (indefinite = the amount of time, measured in weeks or months, for steve to complete a project), without harming the paint like long term vinyl fender covers can. s
steve meltzer,
peterp

Post by peterp »

There is a rumor (started by me with this post) that using aftermarket fender covers can cause severe engine damage!

I found the fender covers below on eBay a long time ago and love them. They have a very soft flannel backing with embedded magnets to hold the covers in place. The listing said they were an old set from a 275 GTB. I doubt they were supplied by Ferrari, but they seem to be pretty rare (couldn't find anything about them or like them on the interwebs). Maybe they were sold by dealers back in the day? There is no brand name on them, the embossed logo in the corner just says: "Made in Italy", "Pat. Pending", and "Magnetic Cover". I would like to know about the origins of these if anybody knows:

Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

Lowell wrote:Steve, Which particular Summit fender cover did you get?
PING
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

When I bought these, I think they were part some promotion, because I was buying something else. In any event, they're cheap. Part # is
SUM-3619

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-3619/overview/

NB: In full disclosure, Summit sends me $1.50 every time someone even clicks on the fender covers. thanx steve
steve meltzer,
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I said this earlier, but with any vinyl type cover, always remove it at the end of the work session. Prolonged (like days or weeks) contact with a painted surface can damage the paint. Still chuckling over Peter's comment about the potential for fender covers to lead to severe engine damage. s
steve meltzer,
enio45

Post by enio45 »

steve, i had a few elbow marks on one of my cars - had the dent repair guy come out and he did a
fantastic job getting them out.....i had visions of repairing the top of the fenders, but tried this first.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Ed, thanx for the good idea. steve
steve meltzer,
peterp

Post by peterp »

I also have the covers below. Sadly, they are only compatible with Bertone-bodied Ferraris:

Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

True, but I'll bet they're riddled with electrical gremlins and bad second gear syncros! s
steve meltzer,