Rebuilding Daytona Rear Calipers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Rebuilding Daytona Rear Calipers

Post by Steve Meltzer »

My left rear caliper is sticky on the Daytona. These are a dual feed system and blowing compressed air in one of the inlets released the piston, but the other outboard piston didn't budge. Even when I used compressed air in both inlets. I removed one of the bleed screws, put bolts to block both inlets and one inboard piston jumped out, but can't seem to get its inboard mate. So, I have one inboard, and one outboard piston I can't get out. Suggestions for getting the remaining, pesky pistons out? If I send these out, who are the best Vendors?

In the rebuild do you separate the caliper halves? Soak in carb cleaner or use a parts washer?

thanx s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
BobA

Re: Rebuilding Daytona Rear Calipers

Post by BobA »

Have you tried to compress the pistons in to try and break them free then blow them out? PB Blaster inside the caliper may help also.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thought of that and will try it. thanx. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
BobA

Post by BobA »

Let us know what works to remove the pistons.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

KIng's X...I had to get some adult supervision. I just couldn't get those two pistons out, despite several days and applications of PB blaster. Went to a nearby shop (I can assure you of this: his shop is several quantum leaps from a Ferrari dealership and showroom!) He also used compressed air, and i'm not sure if I just didn't have every port blocked off or not, but the left caliper is ready to be rebuilt. The pistons look great and I cleaned all of the parts. Bores slightly honed, just a clean up, really. thanx. s
steve meltzer,