Front main seal

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jumprun

Front main seal

Post by Jumprun »

I'm trying to hunt down and kill oil leaks and I now suspect my front main seal, can this seal be easily replaced without pulling the engine? I did a search and checked the shop manual, there is not much information regarding this job. The parts manual, Grupo 22, TAV.10 shows it as Item 41, P/N MIM 4056.

Tom in SoCal.
Jumprun

Re: Front main seal

Post by Jumprun »

Jumprun wrote: The parts manual, Grupo 22, TAV.10 shows it as Item 41
Oops, meant to say Item 42
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: I do not know what model you are talking about, so I cannot find it in a manual, but generally speaking, the major effort is in removing the crank pulley. Sometimes they come off easy, sometimes not. U.S. bearing houses should have this seal in a "double lip" style. They seal much better. Some engines have the sealing surface on the crankshaft and some on an extension of the pulley. If the sealing surface is grooved, you can use a 7 mm seal instead of a 10 mm and move to a fresh surface, or you can machine a spacer to move the seal forward and seal on a fresh surface. Be sure to grease the seal to help it "break in" without damage.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Sorry Dyke for not mentioning the type, it's a late 330 GTC. To me it looks like the seal rides on an extension of the pulley. The pulley bolt is 36mm with a locking plate, it looks like it might need an impact socket wrench. I have an oil cooler hose close to the front of the pulley..might have to move that. bending the locking plate on assembly might be difficult too.

What can hinder removal of the Pulley? is splined with a close fit? gear puller needed?

I better make I'm 100% certain sure where the oil is coming from before I get carried away but I wanted to get feel for what's involved.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: Pulley is splined. 36mm is correct for the nut. It may slide off easier than you think. If you need a puller, do not get carried away with too much torque on the puller. You can also install a "speedy-sleeve" on the sealing surface and the appropriate sized seal to cure any leak.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

Sometimes the socket might not fit down inside the pulley to get to the bolt and has to be turned down a little on a lathe to fit.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

tyang wrote:Hi Tom,

Sometimes the socket might not fit down inside the pulley to get to the bolt and has to be turned down a little on a lathe to fit.

Tom
You mentioned that a while back, I already did it so I could turn the engine over by hand with a wrench. As always your tips are greatly appreciated.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

You're welcome, and my apologies for being redundant!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings… Someone welded a 1 1/4 in nut on the end of my c\pulley bolt. No clearance problems and the pulley slides right off.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic