Grill Fab Thread

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

Grill Fab Thread

Post by enio45 »

Im getting close to the need to construct my grill for the Ellena Project....Im trying to find the thread that Tom did on his fabrication but not having any luck...

Appreciate the lead....
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
BobA

Re: Grill Fab Thread

Post by BobA »

A late portion is posted in Feb 2000 on the blog page. Work back from there.
peterp

Post by peterp »

Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Thank you guys...appreciate the leads
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Ed,

I learned a lot about grille fabrication with the journey to create mine from scratch. The vertical and horizontal pieces shouldn't be too hard these days with all the options of cutting. It's amazing what's changed from 15 years ago when I started making mine! My pieces were scanned and laser cut, but now you also have water jet as an option. I don't know if a CNC plasma cutter will have enough resolution, but it might work. The software is also more available, and it seems that a lot of shops should have the capability to scan the original pieces to create a digital file. Bending the tabs is about creating a jig in a bending press to accurately bend each piece in the right place. The tricky part is the grille surround. I think templates can be made, but there will still be some hand forming that will need to be done to fit the grille pieces and the whole assemble to the body. Most grille shells flare out a little bit, and needs some kind of forming and fitting.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Tom, thanks for the advise - this will be my first, but i do have 2 originals that i can work from that all i have to do is duplicate and make the surround fit to my opening on the body. Im looking forward to the challenge.

I can disassemble one grill for all the slat work and make adjustments to the slat length. Also - i noticed on my grill that the front of the slats are actually angled on the forward edge about 25 degrees or so. I assume that can be done as part of the cutting process?

Ill have to see where i can find the correct shop to do the slat work. What would i look under when searching - metal fabrication??

Also - looks like my surround was made of brass and then chrome plated after all the final shaping was done.

Ill keep the site posted on the progress.....

Any tips or recommendations are appreciated
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
Suebian330

Post by Suebian330 »

I have my disassembled grille on the workbench right now. The egg crate pieces have been painted with clear laquer. I have sanded them down and polished. In my case they were restorable. For the grille surround made of aluminum I found silver paint. I think this was not the original surface.

Does anybody know if the inner grille surround (GT330 S2) was bare aluminum, polished or anodized originally?
[b]Suebian330

#8741 330 GT2+2[/b]
tyang

Post by tyang »

Suebian330 wrote:I have my disassembled grille on the workbench right now. The egg crate pieces have been painted with clear laquer. I have sanded them down and polished. In my case they were restorable. For the grille surround made of aluminum I found silver paint. I think this was not the original surface.

Does anybody know if the inner grille surround (GT330 S2) was bare aluminum, polished or anodized originally?
Everyone has a different opinion on this. I've always thought the shell and egg crate pieces on the 250s and 330s were bare aluminum and possibly polished. The pieces naturally become milky with age. Allowed to corrode, they will get dull and turn very mat in finish.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053