Inexpensive inspection camera (borescope)

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330GT

Inexpensive inspection camera (borescope)

Post by 330GT »

Last weekend at the local cars and coffee, a Ferrari friend mentioned that he bought an inspection camera at Costco for 58.99.
He was pretty high on the product, much better than one he had bought a few years ago.

So today, I looked at the automotive aisle in my local Costco and found:
P1000943.JPG
P1000943.JPG (75.5 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
The wand is about 3' long, 1/4" in diameter, somewhat stiff, perhaps 1" radius for a curve. Not HD with a screen resolution of 320x240 (640x480 VGA output), but in color. It doesn't have any way to save a picture, so the ones below are taken with a camera pointed at the screen. One can use a cable to plug it into anything taking a VGA input, so you could hook it up a DVD recorder or TV if needed. Five levels of light from the LEDs surrounding the camera.

There are three attachments, a mirror to allow looking at a right angle, a hook and a magnet. The last two can enable snagging a lost bolt or nut out of reach where one might not even be able to see it.

This picture is of the serial number (8755) on my car. Very difficult to see due to the heat shield in the way.
P1000946.JPG
P1000946.JPG (42.33 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
This is the rheostat behind the dash for dimming the dash lights.
P1000948.JPG
P1000948.JPG (46.28 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
This is the end of the wire assembly for the hot/cold heater control.
P1000949.JPG
P1000949.JPG (25.76 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
This is the back of the tachometer.
P1000950.JPG
P1000950.JPG (50.13 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
Note, I didn't even remove the leatherette covering the bottom of the dash. The image on the screen looks better than what my pictures show.

There is an option to rotate the picture on the screen. At first I was confused as there were 4 positions, normal, upside down and mirror images of both. I didn't understand the mirror image positions, until it dawned on me that these would make the image look normal if using the mirror attachment.

Manufacture's website: http://performancetool.com/item.aspx?iid=9679

PS, it's well worth $60 the first time you have to see something where you can't get your head or a pocket camera. I can also anticipate using it around the house, for instance, helping snake a wire inside a wall. These are not on Costco.com and at the price, I expect them to sell out pretty quickly.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Steve Meltzer

Re: Inexpensive inspection camera (borescope)

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx Kerry, ran over and picked one up. All Costco shoppers know that what you see today, may never be there again. I did pass on the hot dogs! s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

Is it better than the Harbor Freight one?
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I was wondering about that, but I'll bet it is better, but don't know with certainty. I buy a bunch of junk from Horrible Fright, but nothing that I think might be critical. Great place to get wrenches you might grind down for a specific job. I have a floor jack I bought from them 25 years ago...still excellent. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

I have had a Harbor Freight one for some time.

I find the cable to be very stiff, and so do not use it very much.
Lowell Brown
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I think this model is available at the same price on Amazon...much, much quicker to purchase and be done with it. s
steve meltzer,
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Steve Meltzer wrote:I think this model is available at the same price on Amazon...much, much quicker to purchase and be done with it. s
Same item, yes, same price no, over $80 except for a used on at 72.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

Kerry was his usual gracious self. He bought one at his Costco and mailed it to me.
(All I had to do was pay.)

Harbor Freight now has two models of their Inspection Cameras: more expensive higher resolution, less expensive less resolution.

My old one looks like their cheaper version but the item number 67979 on mine does not match that of any of their new ones.

The Costco one definitely has a smaller 'snake' and much smaller 'camera' end than either of the new Harbor Freight ones.

The Costco has much better resolution than my old one, and its 'snake' is, to my taste, a lot better because it is much
easier to bend. But I have no comparison of these features with the new Harbor Freight cameras.
Lowell Brown