Front Suspension

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Front Suspension

Post by John Vardanian »

Items 45, 46 and 47, do these go on the 250GT cars? Are these available? Thanks.

john

PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Re: Front Suspension

Post by John Vardanian »

Also, could someone please tell me what aerosol can paint is the closest to the original Koni orange? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: Since nobody has come forth with answers, Item 45 is a 508D component, designed originally for PF Coupes. Items 46 and 47 are 508E parts, designed for 250 GTE's, Cabriolets, etc. As for Koni paint, Parker has, what is probably, a very correct match, but so far nobody has complained about my usage of Chevrolet Engine Orange.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Dyke, appreciate the response. I am putting together my Lusso suspension and I found holes in these brackets where the rubber bumper would go. So, are you suggesting that maybe the car didn't come with these bumpers? Thanks again.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: As for Lusso's, I do not have one here right now, and my memory is not that clear on the bumpers. My note to you was only that the cars mentioned were the FIRST cars to use the parts. I know 330 2+2' s used them, so probably also Lusso's.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thank you, Dyke. What is #34, do you know?

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: #34 is the swaybar silentbloc bushing, standard piece. #32 are the spacers on either side of it.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke. Would you be so kind to explain the sequence of assembly of the front suspension? Thank you.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: With all due respect, you are asking me to write a novel. This project is very time consuming, as if you are replacing bushings and pins, each bushing will have to be reamed to fit, and all the thrust washers sized and test fitted to eliminate end play. This is the most critical part of the process. Once the entire suspension is satisfactorily "test" fitted, then you can install the spring. Hopefully some others on the forum will add their "tips" on the project.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke, the bushings are all fitted and reamed. I was wondering in what order you attach the pieces to the frame. I thought, for instance, I would do it in this order:

1. On the bench, assemble the upright first, then attach the upper and lower wishbones to it along with the spring bucket.
2. Offer up the assembly to the frame, then thread the upper shaft thru the chassis and the upper wishbones.
3. Put the spring in the bucket and the upper cup, lift the bottom of the bucket with a jack until you can thread the lower pin thru the lower wishbones and the chassis.

Does this sound like the proper order of assembly? There car is a bare tub on a dolly right now and it's light, so not sure the jack trick would work. Thanks for your help.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: You have the sequence down correctly. Assemble the complete suspension without the spring, make sure everything works as intended, then jack the spring up into the pocket and install the Circlip. You are correct, that with little weight on the front of the car, you may have to tie the car down to get the spring completely into its pocket.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke. I don't know if it was a mistake, but I didn't use the original type fiber bushings. I had the four shafts on each side chrome plated and then made bronze bushings. The fits are perfect. Setting the thrust washers took a few days too because I dumped them indiscriminately in a bag during disassemble a few years ago. You are right, it is a time consuming affair. Thanks for your advise.

john
PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

John, im in the process of doing the same thing.....question - is item 25 - rubber bushings for the spring - top and bottom, required for my ellena car ?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Ed, your car is built on a 508C chassis, correct? I do not think the round pad will fit in the upper carriage. I do not think these go on your car, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime.

john
PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

John, yes it is a 508C frame
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS