GTC shifter shaft rubber boot

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

GTC shifter shaft rubber boot

Post by enio45 »

Does anyone know the part number/pic of the 330 GTC shifter shaft boot (long shaft that goes along the floor hump and exits the inside the car behind the driver seat) .

To be more precise - the shaft has a boot around it that provides insulation around the shaft to the hole in the floor - which is where the coupler is located for the connection to the rear transmission.

Most importantly - I'm trying to find out where to get the boot?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
DWR46

Re: GTC shifter shaft rubber boot

Post by DWR46 »

Ed: I have never seen a factory part number, but they used to be commonly available from the usual suspects. However, they usually tear again within a few miles, so unless it is just destroyed, I leave them alone.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

GT Arizona has them. I installed mine by putting the gearbox in 2nd gear removing the coupling pin, then moving the shift lever so you can pivot the rod up enough to get the boot on. I was very lucky with the new boot, it lasted about 1,000 miles before ripping.
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Assume u mean gt car parts ??
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Yes, GT car parts, my first-call supplier.

As a point of interest, when I got my car someone had previously replaced the rubber boot with a sewn up black vinyl boot, while obviously not correct it did an excellent job sealing the passage way. In hindsight I should have just left it because you could not see it unless you were looking for it and my car is no show car.
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Im thinking that this boot is the same as the one they used on the 330 GT shifter assembly - or at least i think so.....so, if that is the case, the hole for the shaft has to be enlarged enough for the shaft to move freely but tight enough to seal the outside or under car noise coming thru the area.

Ill call Bill in the am to see if i can get a boot
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

I don't know what the GT boot looks like but the one I got from Bill/Dave has a metal ring molded into the big end that attaches to the tunnel. The small end was a tight fit over the rod and connector fitting needing a little persuasive lubricant.
enio45

Post by enio45 »

I got mine today from GT Car parts and yes, it is the shifter to tunnel boot - it could work, but i can see how it will break because there is not enough bellows on the rubber to deal with the shaft movement. Anyhow, ill open up the center hole to get it to move easier.

Thanks for the tips
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

I have seen a number of these boots that fit so tightly that they effected the shifting of the transaxle. Better to be loose or ripped than too tight.