Oil Pressure

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

Oil Pressure

Post by enio45 »

On a customers 330 gtc we recently had rebuilt the engine -

question regarding the oil pressure:

how quickly does the oil pressure register after starting the motor?

ours seems to take 5 -7 seconds or so......normal? seems like forever waiting for it....but?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
afwrench

Re: Oil Pressure

Post by afwrench »

Hi Ed, I would check it with a remote mechanical gauge and see if it behaves the same as the "in car" gauge and sender. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Ed: Does the car have a factory oil cooler? On cold starts, those cars can easily take what seems like eternity to show pressure on the gauge.
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Agree - i was going to go with another oil pressure gauge hooked up to see if there is a difference. Have not done that yet.

Ref the Oil cooler - - I feel embarrassed today that i don't know what a 330 oil cooler looks like - I'm familiar with those on GM muscle aftermarket stuff. Having pulled the motor out and assisted in the rebuild and install....i would have to say NO....looked to be pretty straight forward reg 330 engine with no extras on it except A/C.
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Ed: Late GTC's have coolers in the bottom of the radiator like Daytona's. The factory retro fitted many European cars with twin oil radiators hooked up in series with the lines coming out of and returning to the oil filter mount casting. The radiators are mounted in front of the water radiator. These cars also have the "swirl pot" silver cans that remove the air from the oil, usually mounted near the front of the cam covers.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

DWR46 wrote:Ed: Does the car have a factory oil cooler? On cold starts, those cars can easily take what seems like eternity to show pressure on the gauge.
I can conmfirm this as my late GTC has the radiator oil cooler, and the silver burp can. I takes an uncomfortable length of time for pressure to register, I wish it would take only 5-7 seconds.
After start up, I don't touch the throttle until the needle moves. Once underway my oil pressure is good in all conditions, hot, cold, low/high RPM.

Best Regards from SoCal.
enio45

Post by enio45 »

well i don't see any cooler for the oil - but i do have a can on the front of the motor by the cam cover - maybe what you call the swirl pot? Ill get a pic today and post it....

maybe mine has the coolers removed but the pot is still there??
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Another indication of the oil cooler is the large oil hoses coming from the swirl pot and oil filter then entering and exiting the lower tank of the radiator, they would be very difficult to not notice this significant plumbing.