Brake Caliper Pistons

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DWR46

Re: Brake Caliper Pistons

Post by DWR46 »

John: Lots of people have run the front boosters "empty", but you upset the brake balance. We have found the booster seals at GT Car Parts.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke. I'll check with GT Car Parts.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Has anyone had luck finding the seals for the brake equalizer cylinder? I am not having much luck with the usual suspects? Anyone have the measurements, shape, for the seals? Mine melted when I heated the cylinder to open the lid. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Tom, I was reading your blog dated 12/18/10. Did anything ever become of sourcing the rubber seals? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:Hi Tom, I was reading your blog dated 12/18/10. Did anything ever become of sourcing the rubber seals? Thanks.

john
Let me see if I can get you a set.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
BobA

Post by BobA »

John, do you have a metal part that looks sort of like an oil seal? I had one in mine and then another rubber ring was inside of the metal. I could not find a recommended seal, but put a heavy o-ring inside. I have not added fluid and bled the system yet, but I think it will seal.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Bob, yes, the second seal is sort of encapsulated in a steel cup. It's the same cylinder unit that Tom discusses in his past blogs. I don't know how I got so lucky, but the piston itself is in quite good shape, so if I get the seals close enough there should be no leak.

john
PF Coupe
BobA

Post by BobA »

I bought the inside donut seal from GT Parts in AZ and sourced the buna-N O-ring from a local industrial hardware store.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Tom, any luck finding me a set of seals for the EQ cylinder? I'd be very grateful. I am this close to plugging the end.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Bob, I found the seals or at least close enough that might work. Thank you so much for your offer to help.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

I have not. It seems everyone is either retiring, or closing up shop right before our eyes. AHHH!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Has anyone found an alternative source for that little dust cap at the end of the brake equalizer piston. Mike Dunn had this and PR Products is all but dead. Any thoughts on how to fabricate something from other material that looks close? Thanks in advance.

BTW, you can buy the entire cylinder on ebay and it actually comes with the cap, but my cylinder is fine (thanks to Bob for sparing me a seal) and I have better uses for my $700.

john
PF Coupe