GTC oil hose

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jumprun

GTC oil hose

Post by Jumprun »

I need to replace an oil hose on my car, a late 330 GTC. The challenge I have, is that the regular parts manual for the GTC does not show this hose, so I'll have to describe it, I've also attached some photos of the hose and fittings.
It is about 2 feet long, has a right angle elbow at both ends, is covered with braided metal wire, and has 33mm attachment nuts at both ends. It runs from a standoff tube on the lower right side of the engine to the upper left side, attaching to a port just below the "burp" or "swirl" can.
It would be great if I could find a part number but if not, I'm thinking I'll need to take it to a hose guy to salvage my fittings and replace the leaking hose.
Has any one ever replaced these type of hoses by salvaging the original fittings? Does any one have a source with a ready made hose available? (I already called my favorite supplier in AZ, he has to "do some research", which for him is not a good sign.) Does any one have a part number or specifications?

Thanks for looking, Tom in Socal.
GTC 11157 022.jpg
GTC 11157 022.jpg (85.04 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
Attachments
GTC 11157 024.jpg
GTC 11157 024.jpg (88.45 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
Jumprun

Re: GTC oil hose

Post by Jumprun »

I think I've answered my own question. I removed the offending hose and under close examination I could see that the end fittings easily come off the hose, there is a ferrule that screws onto the outside of the hose, then the elbow screws into the ferrule, so all I have to do is find a hose with the proper OD to screw the ferrule onto, so I'll be paying the hose man a visit.

Tom in SoCal
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

Most hydraulic hose guys can find a hose to replace the one that is leaking. It's all about what they have to crimp onto the fitting.

Good luck.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

tyang wrote:Hi Tom,

Most hydraulic hose guys can find a hose to replace the one that is leaking. It's all about what they have to crimp onto the fitting.

Good luck.

Tom
Thanks for the reply Tom. The hoses on my car do not have the fittings crimped or swaged on, instead they attach with a brass ferrule which has a course spiral that screws over the OD of the hose, then the elbow screws into a fine thread on the other end of the ferrule with a taper that presses directly into the ID of the hose, a very simple design needing no crimping, special tools or sealants, It reminds me somewhat of the yellow fuel hose concept. It's great because all I need to do is buy the hose then I can put it all together myself, as long as I can find hose with the proper OD/ID

I'd make a significant bet my hoses are original, I can post photos if anyone is interested.
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Make sure the orientation of the fittings on the end are the same when you replace the hose. Hard to man handle that one.

Drew
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

DrewA wrote:Make sure the orientation of the fittings on the end are the same when you replace the hose. Hard to man handle that one.

Drew
Yes I understand, it took a some trial and error to get everything fitted because the length is critical too, I initially made my hoses about 1/2 longer thinking I could just form it into place but the new hose was very stiff and unforgiving, but it was easy to take it all apart and cut the 1/2" off. I also ended up leaving one remaining turn of the elbow to use for fine tuning after attaching the other end to the engine fitting.
Jim Wickstead

Post by Jim Wickstead »

Hoses have an outer casework of braided metal. Rather hard to find a replacement. I believe that Dinos may use a similar hose and fitting.
Jim W.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Jim Wickstead wrote:Hoses have an outer casework of braided metal. Rather hard to find a replacement. I believe that Dinos may use a similar hose and fitting.
Jim W.
I guess I got lucky because I just walked into my local hydraulic hose guy and he put 3ft in my hands within moments. The only difference from original is the braiding is stainless steel and it has a slightly bigger pattern.