what's the latest on water pump seals?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jumprun

what's the latest on water pump seals?

Post by Jumprun »

My car is the text book on all the common mechanical problems found on the 330. The latest is the water pump seal, replaced about 1,000 miles ago and now leaking at the weep hole. I took the pump off and can see no obvious damage or leak paths so I believe the leak could be caused by low spring pressure because the replacement seal I put in had the smaller diameter wire spring. My old seal has the thicker spring wire and is considerably shorter and stiffer.

I got the replacement seal from my favorite supplier in Arizona, and I'm considering buying another and either shimming it or sourcing a heavier spring. I can't use my old spring because it is slightly bigger in diameter and would not fit in the replacement seal.

Of course I've searched and read all the ugly history on these seals, but I was wondering if a new magic bullet or supplier has been found?
Any advice, encouragement, commiseration or friendly mocking is welcome.

I should mention my car is a late GTC, with a water pump and seal similar to the 365 and Daytona.

Tom in SoCal.
Jumprun

Re: what's the latest on water pump seals?

Post by Jumprun »

Jumprun wrote:I should mention my car is a late GTC, with a water pump and seal similar to the 365 and Daytona.
After further research, my seal is similar to the 365 2+2 and not the Daytona
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

For the last twenty years, we have been saving the old seal springs and installing them in the new seals.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Thanks for the reply Dyke, here is a picture of my old and new parts, does it all look familiar? the old seal is much shorter as well as the spring, and not from settling, the old rubber is shorter to accommodate the short spring. The old spring is also slightly larger in outside diameter, not allowing it to seat in the new perch, so I guess I'll need to re use my old one, which is a slightly larger OD, so after I put it into the new rubber I hope It will fit into the bore....we'll see.
seal details (500x226).jpg
seal details (500x226).jpg (95.67 KiB) Viewed 7297 times
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

That does not look right. I do not think you have correctly match seals. However, it has been a while since I did that, so I am not sure what is currently available.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

I got the seal on the left from GT Arizona, part number 95850601, and a Google search shows this to fit the 275, 330, and 365 2+2, available from several vendors.
Does anyone have an alternative part number or supplier? I can modify this new seal to accommodate the old spring and perch but Dykes latest post has me wondering if there is a better seal to start with.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

I'm sure you've read, but with problem water pump seals, I shim the back side of the WP seal with a large washer with rtv. I'll have to check how thick my washers are, but I think they're about 1mm thick. It seems to give me just a little more compression of the spring to seal. Take a close look at everything while you have it all apart. Make sure the rear plate that seals against the carbon seal is dead nuts flat, and make sure it's secured to the impeller square and flat. I don't know what kind of steel they're using on the replacement plates that secures to the back of the impeller, but I've seen it wear pretty quickly one some cars. The carbon face should have worn faster. Another tip is to make sure there is some kind of lubrication on the carbon face when you assemble the WP. One car started leaking immediately because the carbon seal fused to the steel plate because the engine sat dry for a couple of months. Although this won't happen to you, I would still use something like a drop of antifreeze to make sure it beds in without damage on startup. Don't forget to cross your fingers and toes and welcome to my world!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Thanks for the reply Tom. When you mention shimming the backside I believe you mean between the oil seal and pump seal. I think I'll do some bench testing to determine which spring to go with.
I had previously reworked the seal face plate by removing it and surface grinding flat then carefully re-riveting it to the impeller using a little loctite 518 to assure no leaks.
I have seen some post that the author recommends installing the seal dry, to the point of not touching it with your hands when installing. I was also advised by my favorite supplier to use a dab of pool pump grease at assembly...I like this idea better.

Tom in SoCal.
tyang

Post by tyang »

The later seals with a two similar surfaces are the ones not to touch. The pool pump grease sounds logical. I've also heard using petroleum jelly.

The shim I'm talking about is placed on the back side of the wp seal to push it a little close to the impeller when everything is assembled. Make sure the weep hole isn't blocked off with the RTV.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053