Anybody seen or used the repro stainless bumpers?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

David Booth

Anybody seen or used the repro stainless bumpers?

Post by David Booth »

Hi all:

The center rear bumper section on the Cab's bumpers seems to be too thin for my chromer to attempt work on it.

Has anyone tried the reproduction stainless bumpers being produced in Vietnam apparently by a Brit? they're sold in the US by "Mr. Fiat".
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
tyang

Re: Anybody seen or used the repro stainless bumpers?

Post by tyang »

Hi David,

I've heard about these bumpers, but have not heard about how well they fit.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
cory

Post by cory »

Hi David
For what ever its worth.....I recently fit a front and rear bumper, from that supplier, on a series 1 330 and fit wasn't even close to the originals. Lucky enough for the owner body and metal work was being done and new locating holes were used for both front and rear. I explained that the originals will never go back on the car once the work was done and he understood.
Cory
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Mmmh, I recently sold to a 330GT owner in Denmark a original rear bumper.
Which never had seen the day light.
it came out the original paper wrap of PF.
It did not fitt properly obviously due to the new owner.
who was trying to make me clear that I was selling a cheap repro bumper…….
well lot of cars met with accidents, and still in those years the bodies were often hand beaten with certain differences .

Dave Booth, I recently bought a 250GT PF coupe front and rear bumper at http://www.bumperworld.nl
I really was impress by the quality and very good priced around 2000€.
Stainless steel is an ideal material to flex or cut to make it fitt.
I hardly need to correct it .
Probebly that ash is rather untouched.
I will let that new bumper recupper and than rechromed for the right shine.

C.
Attachments
Bild.jpeg
Bild.jpeg (124.27 KiB) Viewed 12621 times
IMG_2403.jpg
IMG_2403.jpg (135.64 KiB) Viewed 12621 times
IMG_2402.jpg
IMG_2402.jpg (150.68 KiB) Viewed 12621 times
Timo

Post by Timo »

Another thing to keep in mind is that polished stainless steel itself, both as material and refinish, usually has quite different appearance than chrome plating, especailly if both are placed sectionally right next to each other. The diference is usually enough that any experienced viewer (or concourse judge ?) should be able to distinguish the difference easily.

As for the OPs dilemma, I would recommend fabricating a new one (or have it fabricated) out of mild steel (like the original) using the O.E. piece as pattern and have it chrome plated (like the original). It just might be easier, perhaps even less costly and likely provide better result than trying to retrofit any (allegedly) ill-fittng item of incorrect material made by and sold through interweb entities whom very likely have no idea about the car it's intended to.
This approach could even provide more admirable "bragging rights" than introduction of "cheap import" pieces to vintage Ferrari.

P.S. Cornelis' idea of buying a (presumably) well made stainless reproduction and having it chrome plated is, IMO, also a reasonably good approach.
Timo
simonc

Post by simonc »

We recently fitted a set of these 'Vietnam' bumpers to a 330GT series 1 and we are very pleased with them. They arrived well packaged and unmarked, and the front one fitted perfectly although the rear one needed a little minor fettling. We would definitely buy again. I've also fitted these to my 246GT and, again, was really pleased.

Here are some pics of the rear one temporarily mounted to check alignment (sorry I don't have any of the front one with me at the moment).
Attachments
IMG_0475.jpg
IMG_0475.jpg (206.34 KiB) Viewed 12589 times
IMG_0478.jpg
IMG_0478.jpg (272.69 KiB) Viewed 12589 times
Simon in the UK

1973 246GT Dino
1976 365 Boxer
1977 400 Auto
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Timo,
I do have an other approach using my classic cars.
You can find my cars parked in the middle of Paris, Amsterdam, Turino ,Modena
I do not own a modern car since my 18th birthday ,will keep it that way.
The project car in the rotary will NOT have a better life at my place.
its always a nice surprise to see how Americans WERE world champions in the PAST using prestolite
the car above did had around 2 cm all around ,with drilled holes to keep the prestolite in place(Kansas us car)
A bumper must be functional at my place ,
Oh,I did bought a stainless repro bumper in reserve….
but with shining chrome imitation of course.

Best

C.

P.S
Tom& Kerry
Have severe problems to log in:

"you exceeded the number of login attempts in addition to you username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA Below"

thanks
Attachments
Bild.jpeg
Bild.jpeg (121.36 KiB) Viewed 12589 times
Timo

Post by Timo »

Corneils,
I've always admired you and any one who uses their vintage cars for a lot more than just occasional club, concourse or show appearances. I used to have nothing but vintage cars/trucks as daily drivers until I was in my thirties, but due to ever increasing need of reliable, spacious and strong truck for hauling and towing in my vintage car restoration business, I bought my first "new" vehicle (truck) when I was around 40. I still drive my vintage cars at almost every chance I get, mostly long distance road trips and although such chances aren't available as often as I'd like, I still manage to rack up 5000-10000 miles between them annually.
I'm actually preparing my oldest car for +/- 2500 mile vacation trip with my GF this summer. The car is 1932 with most of its mechanical components from around 1949-1952 and technologically, nothing newer than 1955. Nothing "power assisted, no A/C or any other "creature comforts". 6 Volt electrical system includes only battery, starter, generator, ignition and minimal lighting (only brake & driving lights, no high beams or turn signals and not even instrument illumination).
I've had it almost 30 years.
Timo
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Nice contribution Timo ,
To show the others its NOT all rose smell being driving vintage cars.
I did lost a aluhood in dec 2015 direction Italy (1800 miles)
I did check the oil level at the fuel station, but it was not properly fixated I guess.
The boys at the swiss border we a bid confused.
I was lucky it stayed dry that week.
I drove back over France to find replacement at the end all was good.

Best

C.
Attachments
IMG_1877.jpg
IMG_1877.jpg (129.9 KiB) Viewed 12573 times
IMG_1879.jpg
IMG_1879.jpg (134 KiB) Viewed 12573 times
IMG_1876.jpg
IMG_1876.jpg (169.21 KiB) Viewed 12573 times
Timo

Post by Timo »

250GT wrote:Nice contribution Timo ,
To show the others its NOT all rose smell being driving vintage cars.
I did lost a aluhood in dec 2015 direction Italy (1800 miles)
I did check the oil level at the fuel station, but it was not properly fixated I guess.
The boys at the swiss border we a bid confused.
I was lucky it stayed dry that week.
I drove back over France to find replacement at the end all was good.

Best

C.
Cornelis,
Your pictures reminded me of couple of similar incidents I experienced about 25-30 years ago, once with a '57 Cadillac and once with a '60 Chrysler.
The Cadillac incident was quite interesting, especially since it occured during fairly heavy morning rush hour traffic on a freeway here in L.A. area and the hood didn't give any warning before suddenly folding itself over the windshield at about 50-55 mph. Fortunately I had the side window down. I can only imagine the thoughts of all other drivers around me...
The Chrysler hood at least gave few seconds of warning and occured on the highway (at about 65 mph) with no other vehicles around to worry about.
Both proved to be just age-fatigued latch hardware.

My latest "road side emergency service" (see picture) was in last August up in Carmel/Monterey. Upper rear shock mount bracket I fabricated almost 30 years ago (finally?) gave up. Luckily there was a hardware store at the nearby shopping center, allowing us to continue after 45 or so minutes. This "temporary" repair inspired enough confidence that few days later I took part in "lunch break" driving tour session at Laguna Seca during FCA National Meet and drive another 400+ miles home the day after. More fun than barrel of monkeys.
Attachments
IMG_1644.jpg
IMG_1644.jpg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 12559 times
GBMA3103.jpg
GBMA3103.jpg (36.37 KiB) Viewed 12559 times
Timo
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Some where in Holland.
only GTE and PF coupe/cabrio original old stock PF.
Both bumpers look rather identical but are completely diff. in shape and length !!

For those who are interested can get the E-mail address only by PM.
Sells only compleet units.
but I am not sure he still own that stock.
That N.O.S has a lot of deep pitting and need complete restoration.
I bought several of those and need a lot of work….

best

C.
Attachments
BUMPERS-1.JPG
BUMPERS-1.JPG (99.56 KiB) Viewed 12537 times
Don Micheletti

Post by Don Micheletti »

As inconsistent as the older Ferrari bodies are, I'd be surprised if a reproduction bumper did fit "out of the box".
I had an early 275 GTB and a friend had one just a few serial numbers away. For the heck of it we compared some body parts - no match at all.
cory

Post by cory »

menlodon wrote:As inconsistent as the older Ferrari bodies are, I'd be surprised if a reproduction bumper did fit "out of the box".
I had an early 275 GTB and a friend had one just a few serial numbers away. For the heck of it we compared some body parts - no match at all.
Very good point! Just one other thing to add, the finish on the bumpers that were brought to me was terrible. Very wavy. My suggestion was to work the old bumpers but the new ones were already purchased. Please note, I have no ax to grind, just passing along an observation to a fellow yangster. Maybe at the least their quality control has improved or is just inconsistent.
Cory
hwilcox

Post by hwilcox »

David,

Getting back to your original problem, why not ask your plater to build up the bumper thickness with copper plate first? The subsequent polishing operation would then be just removing a thin layer of the applied copper, not the parent metal prior to chrome plating. You would then retain originality, the bumper would fit and you'd have no problem potentially having to match polished stainless steel with chrome.

(I have used the method successfully on pre-war chrome and nickel plated motorcycle tanks.)

Regards,

Howard.
1967 330 GTC s/n 11165, Brough Superiors