330 GTC Cooling/Fans

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

330 GTC Cooling/Fans

Post by enio45 »

My customer has this 330 GTC and has air conditioning factory installed.

we recently had the motor gone thru, recored the radiator, replaced one of the 2 fans for running slow etc....

a lot of work....so far

I'm getting the indication that the cooling fan is not doing enough to keep the water cool.

When up at operating temp - water and oil, the temp gauge keep slowly climbing (while in the shop) - on the road it does come down as u would expect - when i turn on the second (for the AC) it attempts to pull the temp down, but never gets to a point where it is comfortable and fans both continue to run.

Voltage to the fans are at 13.5 volts......

Granted with the condenser in front of the radiator, i believe there are issues, and with distance for the fan blade to radiator inhibited by the condenser i can see a cooling issue being created.

I need so guidance on how to attach this problem......

He does have the car judged, so i believe the fans need to be there......

SO ...can i put some puller fans in and still get by some judging?

If so - anyone recommending what type/supplier for the fans?

Also - i barely have 3/4inch of rom between the AC pump / alternator and the radiator....

Appreciate the advise
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
enio45

Re: 330 GTC Cooling/Fans

Post by enio45 »

OK, so not much response on this

any way to make the fans go faster? rewind the armatures etc??
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
peterp

Post by peterp »

I had a similar problem with the car running cool on the road and hot at idle even though the fans were working well. It turned out that there was an open section in the shrouding that seals the fan to the radiator, so the air the fan was pulling was actually going around the radiator rather than through it. It was pretty hard to find the unsealed area, because it was in a hidden section, but it was easy to fix once found and the car has never run hot since.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Ed: Is the fiberglass pan under the radiator still with the car? When the radiator was recored, did the shop remove the baffles in the top tank. That is usually the source of the cars running hot. The water should flow down one side, then up the center and down the other side. With the baffles gone, it goes through the radiator in one pass and it cannot get a good chance to shed heat.
Timo

Post by Timo »

enio45 wrote:My customer has this 330 GTC and has air conditioning factory installed.

we recently had the motor gone thru, recored the radiator, replaced one of the 2 fans for running slow etc....

a lot of work....so far

I'm getting the indication that the cooling fan is not doing enough to keep the water cool.

When up at operating temp - water and oil, the temp gauge keep slowly climbing (while in the shop) - on the road it does come down as u would expect - when i turn on the second (for the AC) it attempts to pull the temp down, but never gets to a point where it is comfortable and fans both continue to run.

Voltage to the fans are at 13.5 volts......

Granted with the condenser in front of the radiator, i believe there are issues, and with distance for the fan blade to radiator inhibited by the condenser i can see a cooling issue being created.

I need so guidance on how to attach this problem......

He does have the car judged, so i believe the fans need to be there......

SO ...can i put some puller fans in and still get by some judging?

If so - anyone recommending what type/supplier for the fans?

Also - i barely have 3/4inch of rom between the AC pump / alternator and the radiator....

Appreciate the advise

And you've checked each fan blade mounting and motor for correct rotational direction ?
Timo
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Timo - yes blades are attached well to the motors and turning in the correct direction

Peter and DWR.....i have the rad at the rad shop now were we will blow it apart and at that time (next week) ill get access to the top tank to see what is going on inside there.....so for now i don't know

I don't recall any shrouds on the side of the radiators.......there is not much room there, but i can see the benefit.....dont think gtc had any with the cars originally??

Also - yes the bottom fiberglass pan is on the car.......
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
Timo

Post by Timo »

Ed, what I meant about fan blades is that are they installed facing correctly to provide proper airflow direction (=efficiency) ?
I've seen more than one Daytona with blades installed on the motor shafts facing backwards, some even with evidence suggesting such installations having been done at the factory (Same with few Daytona heater blower fans or motor polarization, etc).
Timo
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Thank you - ill double check to be sure
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
Jim Wickstead

Post by Jim Wickstead »

Ed,

I imagine you checked this, but if these are lucas motors make certain they are turning in the correct direction. I had just that problem when I installed rebuilt fans on my GTC.

Jim W.