330 - Changing triple row timing chain

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

simonc

330 - Changing triple row timing chain

Post by simonc »

Does anyone have any thought son changing teh triple row timing chain on a 330. We have been told that it is very hard to find replacement triple row chains that are really good quality and someone suggested that we convert the engine to run on a double row chain as high quality double row chains are more readily available. This was form an R&D guy who designs racing engines.

My engineer likes the idea due the higher quality chain but to me it seems a shame to be machining the sprockets as it is an irreversible process and changes the engine from original spec.

Any opinions?
Simon in the UK

1973 246GT Dino
1976 365 Boxer
1977 400 Auto
DWR46

Re: 330 - Changing triple row timing chain

Post by DWR46 »

There is NO reason to not use the triple row chains. In the US, high quality chains are commonly available from the usual Ferrari parts suppliers. The other option is to make your own by purchasing bulk triple row chain (it is a standard pitch chain) and use a master link. We do this many times. especially if we are doing a number of engines at the same time.
simonc

Re: 330 - Changing triple row timing chain

Post by simonc »

Thanks for the advice. We will stay with the triplex chain. I have ordered some Renolds Red chain and links today.
Simon in the UK

1973 246GT Dino
1976 365 Boxer
1977 400 Auto