Undercoating

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Undercoating

Post by John Vardanian »

Hey guys, is this stuff a good enough imitation of the original undercoating? How much area will one of these non-aerosol bottles cover, two wheel wells perhaps, or less? Thanks in advance.

http://www.shopwurthusa.com/wurthstoref ... p/08900301

john
PF Coupe
BobA

Re: Undercoating

Post by BobA »

Hi John I have always had better luck with an aerosol product which produces a "splatter" type coating rather than a non aerosol. I am not familiar with the Wurth product, but it would seem not to produce a rough coat.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Having experienced or experimented with most types of undercoatings available in EU or US in past 35+ years, all I can say is that results, including texture, can vary significantly depending on application methods (aerosol, compressed air, spreading with brush/spatula or combination of some sort), composition of material used (reduced or not), application thickness, spray distance/pattern, etc.
Other than that, I've found this Würth product quite good for various applications and depending on equipment used, reduction, applied thickness, etc. 1 container could probably provide coverage up to 3-4 standard(?) size inner fender wells, but I don't think I've ever seen textures it produces (originally) present in "vintage" car undercarriages.
Timo
enio45

Post by enio45 »

John, we use this for all the GM muscle cars we do - goes on great and nice coverage, even and consistent.

Soon, for GM applications, we like it.....from what i have seen on my original 330 GT car, i think it would provide similar coverage except, i see the 330 is more thick and blotchy than the results we get from this product.....so maybe you need to apply several coats and be sloppy with it.....

Personally - like my Ellena car we are doing, the undercarriage is so nice, I'm considering NOT putting the
undercoating .......at least that is my thinking for now.....interested in your thoughts.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks everyone. I have ordered this stuff and intend to use it because I hear it looks nice. I did take a look at a few applied examples of this stuff in the last few days and have to say that it does not at all look like the original undercoating. The original is an asphalt-like substance, it is rougher and coarser. When I removed the original stuff a few years ago, I remember heating it slightly a little section at a time and scraping it with ease. Thanks again.

john
PF Coupe
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Hey, John:

Didn't we talk about this here a while back? If not, I've been pretty happy with the Wurth SKS. But be aware that they sell a gun specifically for applying it. It has a big canister on it, and you take the top off a plastic bottle of the stuff, drop it in the canister and screw on the top, and you're ready to go. Makes cleanup easier.

Since it's a gun application, feed and air mix determine coverage. I did the Cab on a rotisserie (photo) and rolled it out into my main (really big) shop, and put visqueen down, and had the paintwork wrapped in a paint barrier film (photo). Honestly wouldn't want to attempt it any other way. Got a good looking rough/pebbly result, although the thickness is/was nowhere near the factory original.
Attachments
Topside small.jpg
Topside small.jpg (322.37 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Underside small.jpg
Underside small.jpg (113.2 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Dave, I borrowed the gun from a friend last week and applied about four bottles of that Wurth Stoneguard. The period Scaglietti cars get this stuff just in the wheel wells and under the bonnet. The finished work, looks as good as any I've seen so far, though it does not look like the original stuff. But, this is all there is, so what the heck.

The one lesson I learned is this and I'd like to share with others. When you're done, be careful when removing the masking. Every here and there, especially on the smoother surfaces, there is tendency for the stuff to want to peel off along with the paper. The paper is actually a better surface for it to adhere, and if you have a thick layer applied, as I did, the material prefers peeling away as opposed to tearing away. But as I said this is not a rule and with a little care this should not happen.

john
PF Coupe