Fuel Pickup Tube, 330 S-1

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Pied-Noir

Fuel Pickup Tube, 330 S-1

Post by Pied-Noir »

Well here goes,

I had to fix a badly cracked fuel pickup tube that connects the fuel tank to the fuel system (TAV.40). In the process I've had to replace the 2 copper washers with new ones. The new ones came from a couple of Ferrari parts purveyors and in both instances, I received copper washers that were 0.5 mm thick. They are almost paper thin. I annealed them and cleaned them before installing them and I also cleaned thoroughly all mating surfaces - NO metallic brushes or abrasives was used. In both instances, the washers are very slowly sweating, we're not talking drips here.

Is there a torque value for that banjo connector? Any thoughts? Ideas?

Thank you for your assistance.

Yves
John Vardanian

Re: Fuel Pickup Tube, 330 S-1

Post by John Vardanian »

You might try smearing the washers with a sealant, like Loctite 518. Permetex also make good products that are resistant to benzine.

john
PF Coupe
Don Micheletti

Post by Don Micheletti »

When you annealed the washers, did you bring them to bright red and then quench in water - that will get them dead soft
Don Micheletti

Post by Don Micheletti »

Also, a bit of lubricant under the head of the "bolt" will help it slide on the washer and provide a better crush.
Pied-Noir

Post by Pied-Noir »

Thanks for the responses.
Right now the tank is 3/4 full so I guess I'd better drive the 330 around before I yank the fuel pickup tube. Have to get some more washers because the current ones don't have any life left in them and I don't want to re-re-re-re-do this job.

John,
I'll try anything to stop that sweating. I checked the bottle of Permatex 80017 Aviation that I have here and on it it says that "if thinning is required, use denatured alcohol ". I'm worried that the alcohol content in the gas might slowly dissolve the sealant. From what I hear around here in Southern California the alcohol content in gas is rather high. I haven't seen a percentage quoted anywhere. I'll look into Loctite and see what they have that's compatible with gasoline.

Menlodon,
Yes, I did anneal them as you describe but those washers are 0.5mm and I don't believe they have much crush life to begin with. I'll try the lube.

Wish there were a TORQUE number on tightening the banjo connector, or a number that worked for someone. At least we'd have something to work with.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Locktite 518 is the product you want. We have used it for years on ethanol fuel systems. No more leaks.
Don Micheletti

Post by Don Micheletti »

No apology necessary.

I know spellcheck can do some crazy things.

Good luck on getting the tube sealed.

Don
Pied-Noir

Post by Pied-Noir »

Thank you ALL for your help.

I've ordered Loctite 518 and some new washers are on their way.
In the mean time I have to use up the gas in the tank and the weather is fantastic. Tough duty.

Thank you

Yves