Oil in Daytona distributor housing

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Oil in Daytona distributor housing

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I pulled the distributors from my Daytona Spyder (conversion, don't get too excited!) and there's oil in one of the housings. I understand that there's an O-ring seal on the splined shaft that plugs into the back of the camshaft, and also a seal below the housing where it bolts to the head. Before I get in over my head (shallow, I can assure you) I have a couple of questions. I assume the housing must get unbolted vis á vis the square-headed bolts on the back of the head, right? Photo enclosed. Also, does either the small o-ring or the more conventional seal between the housing and the head, get any sort of lubricant or silicone?
Daytona distributor housing
Daytona distributor housing
P7220134.JPG (176.39 KiB) Viewed 6868 times
Any other pearls I need to know? Thanx steve (apologies for X-posting, but I need all the advice I can summon)
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DWR46

Re: Oil in Daytona distributor housing

Post by DWR46 »

Steve: Look at Tav. 10 in the Daytona parts book.

1. The small O-ring #33 on the driveshaft from the camshaft is there to "limit" oil flow not "stop" it. Some oil has to get to the distributor drive gears, but not too much, so that loose fitting o-ring controls the amount of oil going on to the drive gears.

2. The large o-ring #49 between the head and the distributor drive unit keeps the oil from leaking between the rear of the head and the drive unit.

3. The oil seal that is leaking on your engine is #39, the 27x41x10 oil seal that keeps oil from coming up the shaft into the area under the distributor. These can be changed on the engine by just pulling the drive (#13) straight up and removing it. Be sure to mark which way the tangs on the drive are pointing. The toothed gear can be installed in various locations. Then you can hook the old seal, pull it out, and carefully tap a new seal in place.
tyang

Post by tyang »

To add to Dyke's great description on the repair, when you remove the shaft to the distributor, check the shaft to make sure there are no imperfections on the shaft in the area that comes in contact with the seal. I also use a slight smear of oil safe RTV on the oil seal when installing it to insure it seals to the housing.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Let me make sure I got this right....I was about to replace two things that weren't at fault (TAV 10, parts 33 and 40), spent a lot of time and effort doing so, and then (drum roll, please) failed to replace the part (#39) that was the problem, right? Thanx so much guys. Whata country! (or,cyperspace). See y'all next month. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
tyang

Post by tyang »

Steve Meltzer wrote:Let me make sure I got this right....I was about to replace two things that weren't at fault (TAV 10, parts 33 and 40), spent a lot of time and effort doing so, and then (drum roll, please) failed to replace the part (#39) that was the problem, right? Thanx so much guys. Whata country! (or,cyperspace). See y'all next month. s
Hey Dyke, if you're at my cocktail party next month in Monterey, I think drinks should be on Steve!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: We will be there, and with Steve paying, we will be hungry and thirsty!!
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

This photo should say it all! However, Dyke, aren't you on an "all tap water" diet? I accept, I owe you both a drink. After one drink those "cheesy" name tags I think I'll bring, won't look quite so tacky. s
Attachments
P7230147.JPG
P7230147.JPG (175.52 KiB) Viewed 6829 times
steve meltzer,
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Steve: "A" drink, only "A" drink! After all the questions Tom and I have answered, you better bring a distillery!
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Dyke, sure. When oil is $75 bbl and my 401K energy stocks don't look like a burned out Ford Pinto. s
steve meltzer,