Steering gear box rebuild

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Steering gear box rebuild

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I know that Colin A. generously posted a "how to" on this website, but I don't trust my meager abilities to do this safely. Is there a reliable vendor for the rebuild of the ZF box? The only problem of which I am aware is a leak. thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
enio45

Re: Steering gear box rebuild

Post by enio45 »

steve, if it is a leak, then that is simple.....

they make new gaskets, GT car parts and there is a front and rear shaft seal the u remove and replace.....

I'm sure GT has the shaft seals as well......if not then u go on line with your ID and OD or remove yours and get the size from them
embossed on the edge

it is simple...now if you are wanting to readjust the end play, then u will need to use some dial indicators to get that .001 - .002 end play and have to shim the end plate....i have shims i make so if u need to go there let me know.....

i believe kerry on his site showed his rebuild - i think?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Steve Meltzer

Re: Steering gear box rebuild

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx let me see when i get the beast out. might change my mind. it just leaks, no other issues. Ed, thanx again. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."