Cleaning a Ferrari V12 engine

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Cleaning a Ferrari V12 engine

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I knew the engine R&R would spawn a gazillion questions so here's another: what's the best way to clean the engine and get it looking reasonably spiffy? Simple Green + elbow grease? Gasoline was suggested, as was pressure washing. I Gorilla taped the intake and exhaust, and replaced the spark plugs to plug those gaps for cleaning. Any other suggestions, tips or tricks? thanx. s (is it true that Tom is considering restricting my bandwidth??)
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
tyang

Re: Cleaning a Ferrari V12 engine

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

I commend the effort to do the work yourself on a Vintage Ferrari, so I will never limit a DYIer! Not everyone would do this kind of work themselves, and I don't expect everyone to do so, but it helps everyone appreciate the amount of work it takes to do this kind of work, especially when they're paying me to do it!

Get some engine degreaser in a spray can, spray it liberally on the engine, and let it soak in. You can use a pressure washer, but be careful where you spray the stream, because the high pressure water can work its way inside the engine. If the grease is caked on, you may have to scrape it off and do the de-greasing again. Simple Green will work on mildly greasy engines, but something more aggressive will save you time. You may also consider taking it to a local car wash with a steam cleaner and let the run off ruin their driveway rather than yours!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Hi Tom and thanx so much for your encouragement. Sometimes, I do step back and wonder what the heck I'm doing. As a kid growing up, it would never have occurred to me to take "shop" over chemistry and calculus and my Dad, who was really smart, didn't know a Crescent wrench from a hammer, so the learning curve remains steep but fascinating. thanx again. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
BobA

Post by BobA »

I have found that the narrow coffee stirring sticks are great for digging into grease which has collected in corners and crevices. they are relatively soft and have round ends, so they do not damage the paint. A pack of 250 is about $3, or you can save the ones you have used for stirring and re-purpose them. I know it works for me. Bob Arthur
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx so much. s
steve meltzer,