rocker panel trim end shapes

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Grigio330GT

rocker panel trim end shapes

Post by Grigio330GT »

I have needed new rocker panel trim pieces (the SS/"chrome" trim piece that goes over the rocker panel/sill seam) since I have owned my 330GT. As you all know, they are hard to find. I found a source in Germany (Hein, who has occasionally posted on this site), but I am not sure his parts are exactly correct. He tells me that both ends of his parts are angled, similar to this picture:
Angled End
Angled End
image2 (2).JPG (33.2 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
However, I have one very beat up (bent, dented) part I bought from Fred P years ago that has one end that is not angled. Like this:
Straight End
Straight End
image1 (2).JPG (37.52 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
I do not suppose it matters a lot, but I am curious if anyone knows which is correct, or if perhaps Ferrari used both designs?

TIA!

D
Dave Michael
330 GT 7895
peterp

Re: rocker panel trim end shapes

Post by peterp »

I looked at mine and both ends are angled, but the end at the front of the car seems to be less angled than the rear. In fact, on the car, the front looks like it is not angled at all, but I think that is an optical illusion from the trapezoidal shape of the trim combined with the fender well curving into the body at the front of the trim. When I put a straight edge on the front edge, though, it is slightly angled with the top being forward of the bottom. The rear trim looks a lot more angled as it sits on the car, but it seems to be only slightly more angled when I put a straight edge on it.

To me, your second photo does look like it has a slight angle even though it appears to you to be straight. You might want to try putting a straight edge on the front edge. My guess is that it won't be perpendicular to the trim. I would guess that your second picture is the front edge and the first picture is the rear edge.

Regarding the beat up one you have currently, it may be possible to restore that back to new. Darrel, who used to post here a bit (can't remember username), posted some photos of his trim restoration and the results were pretty amazing. I think he provided some guidance on how he did it. I think for the surface, he just sanded out all the ugliness and then went progressively finer (2000, 3000, metal polish) to make the surface perfect. I had never thought about polishing out imperfections in stainless that way. Fortunately I haven't needed to do that, but his posts were enlightening nonetheless.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Grigio330GT

Post by Grigio330GT »

Peter

Thanks for your reply. The "square" end of my old part is indeed slightly angled, but that might in fact be because it is bent rather than angled.
Photo Mar 30, 7 41 45 PM_1.jpg
Photo Mar 30, 7 41 45 PM_1.jpg (300.01 KiB) Viewed 5513 times
The new parts that Hein has both have 1 17 degree angle.

I have sent pics to a few restorers. Their estimates come back somewhat more than the new parts would. Plus then they would not match....

Thanks again for your help

Dave
Dave Michael
330 GT 7895
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

Stainless steel trim pieces are tricky to restore. Depending on how deep the scratches are material has to be filed or ground away, and then sanded and buffed to a shine. Remove too much material, and the pieces become too thin to buff and polish. This takes A LOT OF TIME! It's a great project for someone who's time is their own, but can get very expensive $/hr!

Also, make sure the length of the replacement is the same. This same trim goes on a 330 GTC, and 275 GTB, but I'm sure the lengths and bevels are different.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
enio45

Post by enio45 »

PM sent
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS