Removiing Rocker Arm Shafts

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

BobA

Removiing Rocker Arm Shafts

Post by BobA »

I have been researching information on removing the rocker arm shafts from the aluminium stands. I imagine it involves heating the assembly to about 450 degrees and persuading the shaft out. Then reassembly probably involves heating the stand and chilling the shaft while managing to align the shaft with the stand. Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance. Bob A GTE #2693
John Vardanian

Re: Removiing Rocker Arm Shafts

Post by John Vardanian »

I have removed them without heating. The trick is re-installation and getting the notches to align just so or the studs will not run thru.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

the rocker shafts are press fit into place.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
BobA

Post by BobA »

Is there some sort of jig to aid in the pressing operation? How much pressure is needed? Thanks. Bob
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Bob, the shafts, while in operation, are locked in place with the pair of studs. The fit of notches in the shaft against the studs is very precise' so is the fit of studs thru the rocker box. So, this tells you that the shaft need not be fitted too tightly in its receptacle because it cannot move out of its bore once the rocker box lands on the head. This also tells you that when you refit the shaft to do it in just the right angle so you can thread the studs thru the rocker box; or you'd have to remove and refit the shaft. You should use an harbor press, if you have one. I did not have one at the time and recall using a wrench socket and my large bench vise. Tom probably has a fixture because they do it all the time, but a fixture of sorts can be cobbled together, it's all pretty intuitive. Just make sure to use softer metals pressing against the rocker box or you will scar the cast aluminum. Good luck.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Also, take note of the oiling hole, naturally it needs to go where it can oil the pivot arm.

john
PF Coupe
BobA

Post by BobA »

Thanks, John. I will pick up an arbor press and find some more room in my crowded shop.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Bob,

Sorry I'm late to the conversation, but I've been out of town. Yes, we have a fixture to do the rocker arm removal, but it can be done with some creative shop skills!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053