Which Cavallino is correct?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Greg Brendel

Which Cavallino is correct?

Post by Greg Brendel »

The devil is in the details...which Cavallino is correct for a Lusso? Both of these are the flat Cavallino's and not the 3d sculpted one but look at the minor differences especially in the horses mane where the one of the right has marks below the mane as indicated by the arrow. So is it the left one or right one that is correct? Or is it the sculpted one?
Attachments
Cavallinos (Medium).jpg
Cavallinos (Medium).jpg (127.29 KiB) Viewed 8682 times
tyang

Re: Which Cavallino is correct?

Post by tyang »

Hi Greg,

I'm pretty sure they are flat for a Lusso. I don't think they started installing sculpted horses until the later 330s? That being said, I've found the sculpted ones installed on earlier cars, but I suspect either the Factory sold them to returning customers to "update" their cars, or were replaced through the years.

The horse on the right is the one I've seen on 250s. I don't think I've ever seen the markings on the one on the left, but that doesn't mean it's wrong! The one on the right is the same one on my 330 America, which is essentially a 250GTE built in 1963, the same time they were building Lussos. True, mine was built at Pininfarina, and your Lusso was built by Scaglietti, but the badging was the same.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Greg Brendel

Post by Greg Brendel »

Thanks Tom, I found the one below which looks like the one on the left for sale and it was advertised for the back of a modern TR so that might solve mystery of where it came from.
Attachments
cav_TR.jpg
cav_TR.jpg (8.81 KiB) Viewed 8653 times
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... 5769, my early 330, has the sculpted horsie and has had the same one for the at least the last 41 years.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
tyang

Post by tyang »

Greg Brendel wrote:Thanks Tom, I found the one below which looks like the one on the left for sale and it was advertised for the back of a modern TR so that might solve mystery of where it came from.
That would explain why I didn't recognize the emblem since I don't look at modern Testrossas as much as I do vintage Ferraris!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

The flat silver Cavalino on the left is what is on my 512BB grill.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Ditto Tom's comment, the one on the right is what is on my Lusso. Jim
Magorahog

Post by Magorahog »

Flat and polished, like the one on the right is correct for a Lusso.