Car Dolly's - Advise Needed

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

Car Dolly's - Advise Needed

Post by enio45 »

Has anyone purchased a set of the "Car Dolly's" or other manufactures of these? I'm in the market to buy 4 and wanted to hear from the group if anyone has a set, how do they like them, usability, move-ability - caster choice etc, alum or steel?

I appreciate any advise..........thanks again Tommy for a great site!

Ed
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Ed,

You're welcome!

I just bought the steel wheeled ones from Eastwood, and they're OK. I don't know how the other ones will fare, but your floor should be a flat as possible for the steel casters to roll properly. Be prepared to really push, if the wheels get stuck in a crack, or seam in the concrete! Also be aware that even if the car is on all four dollies, any slight incline will make the car impossible to move by yourself. I can imagine these steel wheels would tear the hell out of an epoxy floor!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

Ed,

If you plan to maneuver a car frequently sideways in tight confines, then do consider "Go-Jack" dollies. Snap-on has the exact same units branded under license. I think Eastwood carries them too.

These units have four quality casters mounted in a heavy-duty u-frame that adjusts in width. The frame arms slip (parallel to the axle) either side around the tire. A built-in, spring-loaded ratchet arm is foot operated against the telescoping cross bar and draws the frame arms (which are sleeved externally with rollers) against the tire. As you continue to pump the ratchet arm after contact, the roller sleeves rotate as the frame arms draw closer together, allowing the tire to rise off the floor as the arms go under. The casters are wide enough and large enough diameter to traverse small cracks.

These units are expensive, something like $200 each and very nicely made. One pair is sufficient for most uses, as they are very quickly moved one end of the car to the other. Four units in hand is a luxury. The beauty is that you do not need a floor jack, as the unit does it all. On a smooth floor, you can push a car sideways almost with one hand. Forward and back requires 4 dollies, takes a little more grunt, but one man operation.

If you are going to simply leave the car sitting on dollies, then the simpler tray dollies are more realistic.

The Go-Jacks are the last word in dollies, best thing since sliced bread.

Chris
sagaponack

Post by sagaponack »

You can also get a device called stringo which is very cool.

Essentially it is fork lift with a flat surface rather than a fork that slides under the front wheels of cars and you can then manuever them any way you want. Auto distribs. use them to get cars a few inches a part.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I purchased some dollys from Griotts Garage and they are excellent. No problems still work great and used many times over.

Rudy
enio45

GoJaks 6000

Post by enio45 »

As an update to this - i was at the Ferrari of Washington dealership recently and notice they have 3 complete sets of the GoJaks 6000 for the shop use. The service tech showed me how they worked and we were able to easily move a car around. They said they had several other types before but these were the best for movement.

I order a set of 4 of the GOJAK's 6000 - seems everyone is asking 185.oo each plus shipping @20 each. Flipping thru the JC Whitney catalog recently - they sell the GoJaks factory direct cheaper than everyone PLUS, in the back of the catalog is a 15% discount coupon for all orders over 200.00. Net, net - great deal 594.oo plus 20 for shipping.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS