Daytona Bell Housing

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Daytona Bell Housing

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Daytona Bellhousing stud.JPG
Daytona Bellhousing stud.JPG (220.23 KiB) Viewed 8159 times
I was climbin' around under the car checkin' out yet another oil leak, when I noted what appears to be a broken stud, 3 o'clock as you look forward to the bell housing. Is there anything else this could be? The parts manual didn't help me, probably because exploded diagrams make me dizzy. Any other thoughts? Doesn't appear to be much room to get it out. As always, please forgive my X-posting. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
tyang

Re: Daytona Bell Housing

Post by tyang »

sure looks like a broken stud.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Hi Steve, that looks really fresh, did you clean the sheared end of the stud off too? it looks twisted in there. You will need to remove the housing to fix it. Of course examine the clutch while you are at it, maybe you will get lucky and find the car needs a clutch job, saving another housing removal.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

The more I looked at this, the more I thought it was broken off. Think i'll just squeeze a bunch of super glue in there. much faster that way. thanx s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

A while back, I broke an exhaust manifold stud. I hired a traveling expert that came to the house and removed it. It took a bit of doing as I remember.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Obviously those studs secure the bellhousing to the engine, and locate all the rotation assemblies when torque is applied to through the clutch. One less stud, means, you have one less attachment to the engine. Although I think you can live with one less stud, I would sleep better at night fixing this with more than glue!

It's going to be a PITA to fix this, but not too bad. I am suggesting sliding the transaxle and the torque tube back as a unit. Here are some thoughts.

The transmission has to slide out of the way to get the bell housing out. I think there is enough room to keep the half shafts connected. PUT THE GEAR SHIFT IN 2ND GEAR! disconnect the shifter coupling and loosen the trans axle mounts. Loosen the front drive shaft coupling by pushing the clutch in and turning the driveshaft until the nuts show through the access holes. There are two nuts on each coupling. (Hopefully the last person who installed this transmission got the couplings installed right so they lined up with the access holes!) remove the four nuts securing the torque tube to the back of the bell housing. Support the transmission and slide it back until it won't go anymore. It should give you enough clearance to remove the bell housing.

For a job like this, if there are no problems, it can take as little as a couple of hours, but there are some traps that can double or triple the time! The shifter coupling could be stuck, and it will have to be addressed. The rear exhaust could be in the way and may have to re pulled aside to gain better access. The torque tube holes may not line up with the couplings, so that will have to be fixed.

I can see why Steve doesn't want to fix this one stud, but these are his choices for the peace of mind!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

TY...thanx for the detailed explanation about the repair. But, here's a wrinkle....I don't think it's a stud, because it's aluminum! Thought I might be able to drill it out...nothing to lose, right? It's soft and fails the Physicis 102 magnet test. Could it be locating dowel pin? Again, can't tell from the drawing. thanx for all of the thoughts! s
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

Locating pins are usually steel and they would have a blind hole. I've got a Daytona at the shop right now, and I'll take a look this week what's in that hole on the car that is apart.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx again. it makes sense that no one would use aluminum for a locating dowel or a stud. sure seems like a regular threaded stud should be there. thanx for your help. steve
steve meltzer,