seals/gaskets for around the wiper wheelboxes

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

abrent

seals/gaskets for around the wiper wheelboxes

Post by abrent »

Hi,

Just fitting new wiper wheelboxes to the GTE and discovered that there was a rubber seal on the old ones that does not seem to be available from cicognani or re-originals, or Tex who make the wiper arms/wheelboxes and other Lucas reproductions.
Has anyone else tried to find these seals, they would stop water entering the passenger compartment. Any clues?

Rgs,

Andrew.
enio45

Re: seals/gaskets for around the wiper wheelboxes

Post by enio45 »

Andrew, timely post, I'm looking for the same as well.....

I have not found anything and was considering making them - somehow....not sure yet as they are extruded and rubber based

I believe they are the same for the 330 GTC we are restoring.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Andrew, do you have your originals?

I think i have one of mine that we can get the dimensions from.
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
enio45

Post by enio45 »

I just read on line this company makes parts for wheelhouses

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/category/wiper-s ... and-parts/

might want to drop them an email or call
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
tiger_carrera

Post by tiger_carrera »

If these are Lucas wiper systems, will the Gaskets sold by Sunbeam Specialties work? Here is the link to their catalog - see pg 17: http://www.rootes.com/catalog3color.pdf#page=1

The drawing doesn't really show the quality of the part. It has a nice round bead around the perimeter which provides a nice finish when installed - it is not just a flat piece of rubber. The price is right!

Gary
abrent

Post by abrent »

Hi Gary, thanks for the link to the Sunbeam parts - there will be other things that work in that catalog, but sadly the gaskets are not one of them.
I will take some photos and get dimensions today.

Rgs,

Andrew.
enio45

Post by enio45 »

after looking thru mcmaster carr on line catalog, i believe they may have some tubing
that we can use for wheelhouses. Ill need to check my dimensions later this week to see
what the originals are and go from there.
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... The wheel boxes come through the body work at different angles depending the angle of the windscreen. On my Turner with a very flat and upright windscreen, they are at a very flat angle-closer to horizontal. The Morgans have them at a bit more upright angle and my Ferrari has them at an even more upright angle as the windscreen is sloped back. The idea being to make the wiper shaft close to perpendicular to the windscreen. It's not a one size fits all. I've never seen a listing as to what angle different car might have. You will find the same situation with the bezels. Probably best to just cut your own.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
abrent

Post by abrent »

Hello again,

Not sure a straight tube would work, there is a profile at the bottom which when compressed would seal. Typical Ferrari, trap the water where the metal is....
Comments about "everyone is different" is correct, the majority of what is available suits the Mini - I guess there is probably more of those than GTE's.
Here are some photos - I doubt that it is a GTE only solution, but it may be, anyone...anyone.

Rgs,

Andrew.

[attachment=0]IMG_5838.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]IMG_5839.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]IMG_5840.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_5838.jpg
IMG_5838.jpg (283.43 KiB) Viewed 14801 times
IMG_5839.jpg
IMG_5839.jpg (358.47 KiB) Viewed 14801 times
IMG_5840.jpg
IMG_5840.jpg (552.97 KiB) Viewed 14801 times
enio45

Post by enio45 »

If i recall - the one i took out of our GTC does not have the lower section that you have shown.

However, a larger piece can be added to the unit to replicate this IMO.

Question: On the GTC the the shaft hole where this rubber is inserted to mount the wheelhouse is
accessed and drains into the engine compartment. On the GT you have, does that hole drain into the
inside the car or outside the car?
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
abrent

Post by abrent »

Hi Ed,

So on the GTE the tubes go into the passenger compartment, just under the windscreen, so that's where the wheelboxes sit, and the cable goes through the firewall to the wiper motor just to the right of the fusebox.
There is drainage for the "scuttle" (not sure if that is the right word for the space under the grill right in front of the windscreen on the outside of the car) into the engine bay, and the tubes pass through this space, but there are no holes in the tubes for drainage to this area.

Whoever said a picture was worth a1000 words was right, I wish I had a picture.....

Rgs,

Andrew.
tiger_carrera

Post by tiger_carrera »

Andrew - Here is an interesting Kijiji ad for wheelbox assemblies, including the positioning sleeve you created in rubber as well as a base gasket that looks like it could accommodate different installation angles: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-part ... nFlag=true

Perhaps the seller would tell you where he purchased it. The gaskets do not look like those supplied by Moss Motors or Victoria British.

Gary
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Leave it to my buddy Andrew to bring me back to reality on something I thought was done on my SII Cab. It was enough of a nightmare trying to find replacement wheelboxes, since the little rubber seals underneath the driven "cap" were worn out on my originals. I thought is was a nice coincidence that the shafts had a nice, snug fit where they penetrated the firewall, never thinking to look to see what sort of bushing might be in there.

And of course, if there's no replacement part that can be adapted from another car, now we get into the real nightmare territory of trying to substitute materials that are going to have different properties and which will lead to all kinds of unintended consequences. I've down this road before.

Just one more thing to be mad at Andrew about.

I wonder if you could just put an O-ring under the securing nut and call it a day. I'd better go look.
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
abrent

Post by abrent »

So whilst we were all talking about wipers.......

Rebuilt the wiper motor, no drama's, seems to work perfectly on the bench two speeds, all parts in good condition - etc. GTE, Series II
Have copious notes from dis-assembly, wiring diagrams that make sense and have read all the posts looking for an answer to one question.

-The Question -
Does the motor reverse when the switch is first switched to the off position and the park circuit is engaged?

Seems bizarre behavior, It never worked on the car due to a bearing rusted to the armature, so this is the first time I have seen this thing work.
Kare made a comment about "reversing concentric wheel to park the wipers lower mechanism" in another post - and I have that concentric thing on the actuator arm in my motor's gearbox. So it might be right. Just looking for confirmation.
abrent

Post by abrent »

So I have my answers:

The wheelbox seals are now available from Cicognani: PRODUCT CODE: 16305370 WIPER UNDER PIVOT BUSHING (2 PCS)
Also, the wiper motor does reverse when parking. It set's the wipers lower on the screen when not in use. Very classy.

Rgs,

Andrew.