What color to paint my Series 1 330GT

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Rob330

What color to paint my Series 1 330GT

Post by Rob330 »

Hello everyone , sorry it has been a while and we can blame that my daughters wedding ($$) . My 1964 330GT series 1 #5393 has been in primer and
some of the bodywork has been done but still a way left to go.

I have to start thinking about paint , specifically what color . The car came originally Marrone or dark brown . Not many
were painted this color and after years and several trips to Cavallino and visits to restorers in California , Texas and even Italy
I have not seen a Marrone Ferrari of my vintage . I purchased the car in mostly grey primer with small amounts of the car showing
the original Marrone.

I have to say that this may not have been my choice in color if I had one. Steve McQueen's Lusso may be the same color and that car
looks great in some pictures and ok in others.

Because I am staring with a clean slate and Ferrari had many nicer colors than Marrone am I a bad guy to paint it another color ?
The car may look great in Marrone but painting the car that color just to find out is a little extreme .

The interior is tan and has been redone so I have to stay with a color that would compliment it .

I appreciate any opinions. I will be visiting Maranello next week and hopefully I will run into a Marrone Ferrai.

Thanks , Rob.
Michael Greenspan

Re: What color to paint my Series 1 330GT

Post by Michael Greenspan »

Hi Rob,

If you are in the New York City area at any point before you make your decision and would like to see a 1963 330 America in its original Marrone I would be happy to introduce you to my car. When I bought the car I thought the color was fine but not a wow. 15 years later I know I was wrong given the reactions the car provokes.

We are off to Paris for our son’s wedding and won’t return until the end of September but if that can work for you I look forward to meeting you.

Btw If and when it needs to be repainted I would repaint my car in Marrone.

Regards,

Michael
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Hi Rob, I can tell you that Michael G's car looks great in it's Marrone.There are different shades as my C4 is also designated Marrone but of a different era ,1971 and much lighter.I have spoken with Mike Regalia the guy who did the resto on Steve McQueen's Lusso and he indicated that the color, while in keeping with "Marrone" is a custom mix made just for that car.You should paint your car the color that makes you happy.No matter what you do someone out there will find fault.I think that 330's also look great in Silver and dark Blue.Good luck and enjoy the process .It's your car to have fun with.Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
NOTRED

Post by NOTRED »

Marrone is a great colour for GTEs and 330s. I had no reservations going back to it from silver. Goes great with my saddle interior. Sorry the pic does not show it's true darker shade - mine is single stage non-metallic.
I remember Cavallino #57 stating that for a 330 GT 2+2 brown was the 2nd best colour after black.
ferrariforumpic.JPG
ferrariforumpic.JPG (42.37 KiB) Viewed 16242 times
NOTRED

Post by NOTRED »

This pic gives you a better idea - looks like black in the shade. Dark chocolate?

P1020342.JPG
P1020342.JPG (37.64 KiB) Viewed 16240 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I think Michael Greenspan's 330 America looks great in Marrone. It's an original paint car, so there is no interpretation of the color from a painter later on in life. Colors are still subjective, even with the most accurate scanners and modern paint equipment. If I had to describe the color, I would agree with a dark chocolate.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

IMG-0308 copy.jpg
IMG-0308 copy.jpg (546.03 KiB) Viewed 16201 times
Here's a picture of Michael's car.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

That's pretty, but I rather like Larry Hernandez's color.

john
PF Coupe
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

We are just leaving for the FCA national meet , hopefully a Marrone car will be there. Thank you for
all the input and I may have to take a ride to NYC .

I will be taking my 550 Maranello in Titanium gray if anybody see's me please stop and talk. I will
also be helping out with the CBM at the end of the concours .

Caio and thanks. Rob
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

I am leaning towards Marrone after several months of thinking about it.
Next is to do some test panels, then I can
have a better idea.
Michael thank you for your offer and if I have any reason to travel your way I would
like to come by.
Mike do you think I can get the paint code from McQueen’s Lusso at least as a starting point
I have seen lot’s of pictures of his car and I have the Forsa Magazine issue with the article on his car and they did not regret the color choice.

Thanks , Rob
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Hi Rob, It was quite some time ago when I spoke with Mike about the McQueen Lusso.While he was very nice on the phone as I remember he did not seem interested in giving out whatever code he might have had.He did emphasize that it was a distinct custom mix and that I should not be misled by how it appeared in pictures and it was not in any way a match for a standard Ferrari color of any period.Sorry I do not havr his # but as I remember I Googled him and it keyed me to a resto shop. Good luck and I am sure your car will eventually look just great. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

We went with the original Marrone.
We used the door hinge trim panal to match the color.

We did about 10 spray outs and we found s great match
With Cromax Pro WBC in Scharzbraun. It was dead on.

Them 4 coats of clear. We are really pleased with our work .

Now we are on to the next one, we are thinking Celeste Chiaro . Maybe someone has a paint code for that one too.

Rob
Attachments
Resized_2.jpg
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

Glad to hear that you chose Marrone. Even happier to hear that you are pleased with the results. When I bought my car I told the owner that I was getting a stealth Ferrari - nobody would notice as I drove by. Boy was I wrong. People love the car in that color. After owning the car for 16 years I still think it’s a beautiful color. And if I ever have it repainted I will certainly look at the paint you chose - thanks for that information.

Michael
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Nice color and good you kept to the original color.

john
PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

great choice!! can't wait to see it all back together!
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS