330 Harmonic Damper

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

treue

330 Harmonic Damper

Post by treue »

Guys,

Some time ago I needed to hold the crank of 9129 steady so I could remove the harmonic damper. I put a strap wrench on the damper and applied force to the handle to hold the crank stationary and noticed immediately that the outer ring had become de-bonded from the isolation rubber. I recommend that you all check for this de-bonding. It didn't look like it would come off but, under this condition, it is useless as a damper and will probably be out-of-balance.

I eventually bought an impact wrench to remove the harmonic damper mounting bolt. (This acquisition was used against me when I chastised my significant other for buying shoes totally three-figures.) I then sent it to Damper Doctor (John Wyss) for repair. John and I worked out a special repair scheme since the 330 harmonic balancer is NOT used for ignition timing. I have not run it on the engine yet, but the balancing holes seem to be correct. I will report back on this later.

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
Yale

Post by Yale »

Can someone post a picture of this part? Also has anyone else run into this situation? Thanx, Yale
giovanni44

Post by giovanni44 »

Hello All,
Regarding this post on lose harmonic balancers. As a former competor in another form of motor sport based on acceleration, I can testify to the danger to both to man and machine of defective harmonic balancers. If you are fortunate it just comes out of the hood. If you are unfortunate it strikes someone or something else with considerable force.

Giovanni
fest

harmonica

Post by fest »

Now I know why Ferrari
put the timing marks on the Flywheel-
(in an admittedly difficult location to access)

because putting them on the Flywheel
is much more accurate
than putting them on the Harmonic Balancer
which can spin and throw off the indicated timing a few degrees
(which I have seen personally)
and even be off a little from the Factory
(which I have heard of)

something to consider
next time you need to check the timing
from that seemingly inacessible location
on your vintage V12 Ferrari Engine
(from UNDER the car, in my case)
treue

Post by treue »

Hi Guys,

Since we can't upload photographs, I sent Yale pix of my damper by private e-mail. If anyone else would like same, just write.
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)