Rear Bumper 250GT

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Rear Bumper 250GT

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom and all,

I wanted to see if there is a cleaner way to installing the three-piece rear bumper, one with the least interference with paint or the new chrome. Seems to me it's a two man job, regardless.

Do I install the center piece then offer up the side pieces or assemble the three pieces loosely then offer up as whole?

Thanks in advance.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Re: Rear Bumper 250GT

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

Each car is different in the best way to install the bumper.Cover the body near the bumper to avoid scratching the paint, and definitely get a helper to spot the bumper as you hang it on the brackets. I usually mount the bracket a little extended from the body tubes, then I mount the end pieces one at a time. loosely bolting the parts to the brackets. I think the center section goes over the end pieces? I can't remember. Sometimes the end pieces require the brackets tight the body so the studs will go into the side of the body. There's no real trick except to go slowly and carefully.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
NOTRED

Post by NOTRED »

John
I would use painters tape on the paintwork even if I had a helper. Don't forget to also check the overlapping sections for flashings of chrome or sharp edges that could scratch your bumpers. Good luck. C
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Tom,

I placed a piece of a 3mm rubber mat between the bumber heads and the car body. This worked very well and avoided any scartching. A helper is needed though unless you want to make some body exercises in repeatetly laying down to fix screws and getting up to see if the fit is perfect.

Good luck!
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom's method is the way to go. I have taken three piece bumpers on and off before, but this way was by far easier--and I did it by myself. Thanks Tom.

I took the liberty of placing a thin rubber cushions against the paint as Notred suggested.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:26 am Tom's method is the way to go. I have taken three piece bumpers on and off before, but this way was by far easier--and I did it by myself. Thanks Tom.

I took the liberty of placing a thin rubber cushions against the paint as Notred suggested.

john
You're welcome!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053